When I Am God Review

9.7
 9.5
 9.8
When I Am God Reviewed by: ClassicDisaster, on october 27, 2007

Sound: Oh, Sleeper's "When I am God" establishes them as one of the more inovative acts of hardcore genre. Building upon their 2006 "The Armored March [EP]," the band delivers punishing song after punishing song. Still, they aren't afraid to pull back and deliver some very haunting and dark melodic songs. Put together the technical guitar lines of August Burns Red, the vocals of Inhale Exhale, and the percussion of Underoath, and the intensity of The Devil Wears Prada and you have something close to Oh, Sleeper. // 10

Lyrics: Micha Kinard is the best new lyricst of 2007 in my opinion. He paints vivd pictures of epic fight scenes and the effect of sin in the lifes of humans. Oh, Sleeper is christian, and the fact is evident. The first track is "Vices Like Vipers," and it's about what happens when as a church the focus comes off of christ and on ourselves. Kinard screams "When I am God, this church is not sound." His scream is a pretty constant medium pitch scream, and the clean vocals fit in nicely when they are used. // 10

Overall Impression: "When I am God" takes all five songs of "The Armored March [EP]," redoes them, and adds 6 new songs. It deserves recognition as one of the top Metal releases of the year. The progressive originality is what I love most about this cd. I really do not think it sounds like much that is out there today. While every song is excellent, be sure to check out "Vices Like Vipers," "I Will Welcome the Reaping," and "We Are The Archers." I would definately buy it again if it were stolen or lost. // 10

When I Am God Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2009

Sound: I am actually pretty impressed with this CD. Their only real issue is sounding strikingly similar to Underoath. This is definately a reflection to Underoath's Define The Great Line album. Not copying, persay, but very influenced by so. However, the guitar work is much more complex and is greatly appreciated. My favorite part is the end of the first track, "Vices Like Vipers" where guitarist Shane Blay lets loose with a whole plethora of arpeggios and who knows what else. // 8

Lyrics: Micah Kinard certainly does a good job with the vocals. He also has the ability to write incredible and vivid lyrics. Usually I pay more attention to the instrumentals, but his fresh and surprisingly skilled voice coupled with his previously discussed amazing lyrics steals the show. I am especially impressed with the transition from clean singing to sheer screaming in "Vices Like Vipers" and even more so with the lyrical content and beauty of "The Color Theft". The last part of "Charlatan's Host" will also hold a special place in my heart for this band. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, they sound too close to Underoath for my comfort, but I definately think they have potential. If I lost it, I would probably be sad for a while, but I have all the tracks ripped onto my computer, so I wouldn't have to buy it again. Technology saves the day. And a few bucks. // 9

Comments