Boingo review by Oingo Boingo

• Released: May 17, 1994
Oingo Boingo: Boingo

The band's sound has strong emphasis on guitars, due mostly because of three guitarists. The guitars seem to fit nicely with the music. Danny Elfman fails to disappoint with his unique voice that manages to sound apart from the music, and rises above so that his morbid emotion can be felt. There other instruments going as well with the guitars such as unique percussion (the beginning to "Insanity"), and addition of brass instruments. The general sound of the album gives off the usual Danny Elfman feel: morbidity, darkness, things we generally don't like to think about. Though, I was taken back by the heavy electric guitars because I mostly know Elfman for his soundtracks with Tim Burton. It seemed to draw away from the sound of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, The Nightmare Before Christma, and Edward Scissorhands. The band also performs a decently sounding version of The Beatles's song "I am the Walrus". In the end, I found myself liking the band's unexpected musical touches.

The lyrics (which I had to read to understand them better), are probably the most distressing and darkest lyrics I have ever heard. Elfman's voice powerfully express emotions of madness ("Insanity"), longing ("Hey!"), and the breakdown of human reason ("War Again"). My personal favorite is "Pedestrian Wolves" which I believe is a metaphor comparing wolves to mob gangs in cities. The lyrics to "Insanity" are by far the darkest. The song talks about the collapse of a human mind while turning Christian religion into a satire. Every time I listen to it, I get goosebumps. Overall, the lyrics to this album definitely have the familiar Elfman-ish morbid feeling that his musical genius seems to always express. By far, the strongest aspect of this album is the lyrics (though they might not be understood on the first listen).

I have never listened to any other of the Oingo Boingo albums too much. I mostly listened to the band because of Danny Elfman. But once I listened to this album, I instantly became a fan. It wasn't quite what I expected (especially how dark it was), but I found myself liking it the more I listened to it. It's a pity Elfman refuses to to do a reunion with the band (he's suffering from hearing loss) because if they were to release a new album, I would buy it the first chance I got.

Iceman10129
    new_age_reject
    Shit I actually LOVE Danny Elfman. He can insert himself into me at any time he wishes... (I'm male) But alas... he loves little girls, they make him feel so good.
    jerrybeansman22
    if Oingo Boingo is dark, the Cure are like being in a cavern with the lights off. This review blew! ...he wrote a song about raping little girls. Your comment blew. Sorry for the troll-trolling. Solid review, glad Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo is getting the respect they deserve.
    COBHC_Erick429
    CreepingxDeth wrote: Hes THE Danny Elfman. He loves little girls.
    They make him feel so good.
    Cookie_Dog
    Nothing like listening to Jack Skellington sing about pedophilia and magazines filled with doggies and leather queens.
    AxelU
    What are you talking about? little girls are not about pedophilia, it's about young gold diggers, they are at the opposite ends of the spectra. The sentence "and I dont care, how we look walking down the street" clearly refer to the stereotypical scenario with a huge age-gap between male and female for example 94 and 19 where the male states that he don't care, how can you refer that to pedophilia? its just what Dee Snyder said: "songs put peoples dreams, experiences and thoughts into into the lyrics and can be interpretted many ways, she was looking for X and she found it.", in other words you are looking for pedophilia, you want it to be about pedophilia and therefore you found pedophilia in the lyrics.
    BoingoFan
    Oingo Boingo... the first band i ever listened to when i was a kid always loved Elfmans work... own all the CD's, it's where i get my drive, and inspiration for music from =oD
    Cookie_Dog
    Whoa, fly off the handle much? Yeah yeah, we all know what the song is about, but at first listen, it really sounds like an ode to being a creepy van trolling pederast, which is probably how it was supposed to sound. So keep your outrage to yourself, or twitter it or something.
    VinntheDrummer
    This band is really amazing. Danny Elfman is a genius. I love all of their stuff. This is New Wave at its best.