Oh No Review

OK Go: Oh No
Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Capitol
Genre: Rock
Oh No finds Ok Go stepping forward with a leaner, rawer sound: 13 manic and melodic rockers, soulful ballads, and riff-filled three-minute anthems.
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
Oh No Reviewed by: gowdyjames, on july 29, 2005

Sound: Well I was lucky enough to get an advance preview of this album and it's good. A definate progression from their first album after the depature of their second guitarist. The sound is more mellow but they can still kick it out when needs be (Do What You Want, Invincible). Damien has an amzing gift for being able to sing in a high pitch voice without anoying people (saying that I'm a big fan of Co&Ca). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just as impressive as on the last album. They don't just put words that rhyme together and hope it sounds good. They have a story running though almost all tracks from space aliens to disasters. This ability to write "funky" melodies in some part must be thanks to Damiens degree in semiotics. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is great to have on at parties or to listen to by yourself when you have nothing to do. stand out songs for me have to be: A Million Ways, Do What You Want, Invincible, Oh Lately Its So Quiet. The band have not been able to punch through really into the mainstream areas of music (i.e. the charts) with any really success. Though hopefully this album will put an end to that with some really catchy tunes that should be unleashed on the world. // 10

Oh No Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2005

Sound: Not really the kind of band you can apply to a genre, they manage to do what David Bowie did in his entire career in one album, maybe not musicaly but they switch from genre to genre like some extreme genre swapping machine. The opening track is a balls out rock track with its crashing four chord riff and simple chorus whilst let it poor is a stunningly beautiful peice of acoustic led rock. My personal faviroute track is here it goes again, an absolute belter with a cracking middle eight. // 10

Lyrics: Absolute genius, words that rain and mean something, you must be joking? Nope the pre chorus of Here it goes aain is witty, melodic and applicable to real life "just when you think you're in control, just when you think you've got a hold, just when you gte on a roll". Or about the sparkling genius that is A Million ways "Oh such grace, oh such beauty and lipstick and calice and fishnets and malice, oh darling, you're a million ways to be cruel". I think the best example of this though is the bites you in the butt chorus of the house allways wins "You don't have to be alone to be lonely, you might as well give in." // 10

Overall Impression: No other artists compare, some may be better but none as musically diverse, no other band in the world is doing anything like this at the moment. All of the songs are fantastic the one slight downside is maybe this time but it's still a cool track. I live in england have dowbloaded it but I shall be buying a copy when it's released and if it gets lost and/or stolen I will buy another. // 10

Oh No Reviewed by: ich-komme, on november 16, 2006

Sound: From the crashing drums and screaming guitars of Invincible to the melodic hums of The House Wins, this album has pretty much all the boxes checked. Great value for money, the album is great to inspire any up-and-coming artist. Some very interesting sounds are used on the tracks, such as unintended (I think) feedback and chatting on Invincible and possibly Vibraphone solo in It's A Disaster. Not unusual seen as it's produced by the man who masterminded The Cardigans hits and Franz Ferdinand's first album. The only problem is that the guitar riff of A Million Ways can get annoying after a while. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics, well, they are just in a league of their own. Damien Kulash really has worked his socks off to bring this album together. Lyrics are meaningful yet rock n roll at the same time, it's what the more mainstream albums should sound like rather than focusing on obscure points. Kulash picks a subject and sticks to it, none of these songs prance about in frilly dresses to put it bluntly. // 9

Overall Impression: It definately compares to other albums. Of my top ten albums this is joint first with American Idiot. The most impressive songs in my opinion are Do What You Want and Crash The Party. It's and album for the masses, but only those who are individual. If I lost this album I really would go mental, then I'd go out and buy it again. It's a must have. // 10

Comments