Big Iron World review by Old Crow Medicine Show

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
Old Crow Medicine Show: Big Iron World

This album sounds like listening to '1930s ho-down music mixed with blues rhythm, '90s pop music composition style, and lyric poetry, wait it isn't like that it is that, and it is incredible. The ho-down fiddle on "Union Maid," the sweet sounding harmonica on "I Hear Them All," and the reflective vocals on "My Good Gal" are a delight to listen to. OCMS knows it's style and plays it very well.

The lyrics in this album have a broad range of interests, from cocaine addiction, to a cheating lover, to union crisis, to global unity, phrases like "I can see the flowers growin' in the rubble of the towers" are a reminder of hope to whoever listens to the album. Hope seems to be the theme of this album, that in this "Big Iron World" where everything tries to screw you, there are still reasons to live on. The lyrics on this album fit the tone of it's music perfectly, it doesn't talk about clubbing, or high school, it talks about "Down Home Girls," and playing the fiddle.

While this album is great, it lacks the showstopping tunes like "Wagon Wheel" and "We're all in This Together" that OCMS' previous album had. Its best songs are "I Hear Them All" and "My Good Gal" as far as being solid, pretty songs. What I love about the album is how it never tries to be anything but itself. It's blue, it's grass and it's great. But as I said earlier, this album lacks the showstopping tunes that I think this band is capable of, that I hope to hear on it's future albums. If this album was stolen, I would buy it again because I love listening to it when I feel lonely, it just brightens my mood.