Energy review by Operation Ivy

• Released: Feb 28, 1989
Operation Ivy: Energy

Though this album is from 1989 (technically from 91 but the songs are from the '89 LP Energy, the '87 EP Hectic as well as 2 from a compilation), the sound on the album is great. Jesse's vocals, Lint's guitaring, Matt's bass and Mello's drums are all heard clearly throughout the album, though Jesse tends to get so fast its almost not understandable. These guys were of the first to get into the ska/punk mix and it worked perfectly, creating an amazing album.

The lyrics is what really brings out the album here. Jesse wrote most of songs save for a few by Lint, and most of the lyrics seem way ahead of his time. He rants about life, and really comes through on many topics, including war, unity, and basically what was going on in the world back in 1989. Simply outstanding work.

This is the supreme album of all albums. I really dont care what kind of music you listen to, OpIvy is for you. Some of my favourites off the album are Take Warning, Unity, The Crowd, Freeze Up, Missionary, as well as many others. There is not one bad or "filler" song on this album. You can(im a way) hear these guys nowadays as Matt and Lint(with Lint using his real name of Tim Armstrong) in Rancid. As well, Jesse has a new band called Common Rider, which I have yet to hear. I wouldnt have to buy this cd again mainly because ill keep it up on a plaque on a wall if I ever get tired of it, which is impossible, so I guess I won't be.