Energy review by Operation Ivy

• Released: Feb 28, 1989
Operation Ivy: Energy

It's very evident that Operation Ivy had many different inspirations while recording this album and no, I'm not referring to drugs. The bluesy nature of both guitar and bass lead me to think that the guys all grew up listening to blues. The punk and ska roots are also very evident, more so in select songs than other. These three genres combined form one very likeable song, and the (although brief) solo's on this album is where the boys shine the most. Whether the bass is pumping out or there's a guitar riff screeching its way into the mix, it goes to show that the guys were comfortable with their respective instruments. Armstrong's voice isn't the high point of Operation Ivy, but I find that it fits quite well with the punk feel Operation has going on.

Operation Ivy were known for their two-minute numbers dealing with numerous kinds of topics: from anti-war ("Unity") to discipline ("Gonna Find You"), Operation Ivy covered it all and went to show that even "punks" had brains of their own. In many ways, this self-titled album is proof that even punk rock can be smart. While not nearly as political as predecessors The Clash (another important punk band), the genius lyrics of Operation Ivy are one of these reasons I enjoy them so much.

It's not hard to point out why this album is such a hit among fans of third-wave ska and punk rock: the energy that flows from vocalist Tim Armstrong's voice is unparalleled. The whole band is on fire for the entire span of the album, and each song has a unique feel to it. Overall, this truly is one of the greatest punk rock albums ever. You either hate them or love them, but after hearing this, I'm inclined to think that you'll be spending a lot more time listening to Operation Ivy.