Energy review by Operation Ivy

• Released: Feb 28, 1989
Operation Ivy: Energy

Operation Ivy was a ska/punk band from berkley, and this was their only album ever released. Energy wasnt even released until they broke up. They were a band from 1987-1989, and 2 of their members went on to form Rancid a few years later. This record is a mix of punk, pop punk, and ska. Its very long, with 27 songs. You can hear major Clash influences in there. Its recording quality is average, but the songs are great.

The lyrics are pretty good. Jesse was wrote all the songs, and sang them all. The lyrics are mosly just about growing up, punk rock, and just every day life. They go together well with the fast music. The singer is pretty good, with a sort of typical raspy punk voice.

I would compare this to anything by the Clash, Sex Pistols, and Rancid. The most impressive songs are Knowledge, Junkies runnin' dry, and the instrumental Bankshot. I love it, it was a very influencial album, and its fast punk/ska at its best. The only problem is I can rarely make it all the way through, as its really long, and starts to sound repetative after a while. But then again, it is their entire career on one disk. If stolen, I'd buy one right away, its one of my favorites.

joshissocool138
    ss311 wrote: Bassist guy tim armstrong didn't sing for op ivy
    bucketned
    joshissocool138 wrote: ss311 wrote: Bassist guy tim armstrong didn't sing for op ivy first of all tim armstrong didn't play bass, like orange~love mentioned above, matt freeman one of the best bassist of all time played bass for operation ivy, second tim armstrong actually did do a lot of vocals for operation ivy, mostly back-up, but he also had a lot of lead parts, and third the guy in the review above says that they we're influenced by blues, and that's also bullshit, they were all mostly influenced by two-tone ska, thrash metal, and 77' punk, they were influenced by bands such as the selecter, motorhead, the clash, and stiff little fingers.
    hahaha everyone is so dumb he said "bassist guy" (as in the username of the person who posted to the very first review referring tim armstrong as the singer) tim armstrong is not the singer ss311 you are forgiven everyone else loses
    Soadfan8
    the main vocalist was jesse michaels but tim also sang as well played guitar. matt freeman played bass, who went on to form rancid with tim.