Energy review by Operation Ivy

• Released: Feb 28, 1989
Operation Ivy: Energy

Well, the first time I heard Op Ivy's "Energy" was a few years ago when I found that old f--ked up cassette behind my cousins couch - So I listened to it - And it blew my mind! I never heard something like that before. The musical emotion and sound in this record are just overwhelming. That skanky guitar riffs by Tim, the rude but emotional vocals and lyrics by Jesse, the f--kin' tricky bass lines by Matt and the hard genius drums by Dave. This record is just legendary! For me it's the greatest album of all time - Maybe I'm wrong but in my opinion Op Ivy's "Energy" is better than some Clash or Ramones stuff - Don't get me wrong: I like The Clash & The Ramones but it's just my opinion. When somebody would ask me somethin' like "Dude, What's Music?" I would just answer somethin' like "Listen To Op Ivy... That's music my friend..."

These lyrics are just overwhelming - pure poetry! I never heard lyrics like that before. There are also many topics - kinda like social justice, violence, politics and more. And the fact that he wrote that shit as a teenager also confirm his lyrical skills. As I've just said: Pure poetry on it highest level! The vocals are brilliant too. Jesse sings every f--kin' song with all his energy - A rude but also emotional voice. In my opinion Jesse's on the same level like Joe Strummer or other great punk lyricists/vocalists. In my opinion Jesse's the f--kin' sickest bastard in the punk scene.

I can't compare "Energy" to other albums 'cause it's just unique. In my opinion every damn song on this album is is genius. - I mean it! Every damn song! Even the additional tracks from the "Hectic" EP and the "Turn It Around" compilation. Good tracks are "Take Warning", "The Crowd", "Unity", "Missionary" and of course "Sound System". But as I've said: Every songs just f--kin' amazing and unique! It's just that emotions in the lyrics and vocals. That skanky guitar rhythms and that crazy bass lines. It's just pure ska-punk! And I love it! If some sick bastard would stole that album? F--k You! I would buy it again! And if he would stole it again! f--k You twice! I will buy it again as long as I live..