Energy Review

Operation Ivy: Energy
Released: 1990
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk
Operation Ivy's Energy is an unsurpassed, highly intelligent, extremely fun record.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.9
 9.7
Energy Reviewed by: «ÃFireÏnside», on july 09, 2004

Sound: Though this album is from 1989 (technically from 91 but the songs are from the '89 LP Energy, the '87 EP Hectic as well as 2 from a compilation), the sound on the album is great. Jesse's vocals, Lint's guitaring, Matt's bass and Mello's drums are all heard clearly throughout the album, though Jesse tends to get so fast its almost not understandable. These guys were of the first to get into the ska/punk mix and it worked perfectly, creating an amazing album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics is what really brings out the album here. Jesse wrote most of songs save for a few by Lint, and most of the lyrics seem way ahead of his time. He rants about life, and really comes through on many topics, including war, unity, and basically what was going on in the world back in 1989. Simply outstanding work. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the supreme album of all albums. I really dont care what kind of music you listen to, OpIvy is for you. Some of my favourites off the album are Take Warning, Unity, The Crowd, Freeze Up, Missionary, as well as many others. There is not one bad or "filler" song on this album. You can(im a way) hear these guys nowadays as Matt and Lint(with Lint using his real name of Tim Armstrong) in Rancid. As well, Jesse has a new band called Common Rider, which I have yet to hear. I wouldnt have to buy this cd again mainly because ill keep it up on a plaque on a wall if I ever get tired of it, which is impossible, so I guess I won't be. // 10

Energy Reviewed by: mike2, on may 10, 2005

Sound: Awesome. Just great. The impresson the band left me after I listen to the CD (again and again) is unexplainable. Their genre of their quintessence of what ska-punk should sound like. If you want to create a ska-punk band, you should study off of Operation Ivy love Jesse's voice and it's roughness and his in your face, blunt lyrics. Tim Amrstrong is truly "the king of ska" guitaring. Matt Freeman is the best bassist of all time. Just the people in the band alone make this CD worth buying. // 10

Lyrics: I like how, even if the lyrics are not political, they still have some kind of existential crisis inside them. My favorite song is Knowledge or Unity. Knowledges lyrics are just freaking great. It's like they don't give a shit. And unity proclaims that war is not the answer and this is still applicable and revelent to today even though this was made in the '80s. // 10

Overall Impression: One word - awesome. // 10

Energy Reviewed by: BassistGuy, on september 01, 2005

Sound: It's very evident that Operation Ivy had many different inspirations while recording this album and no, I'm not referring to drugs. The bluesy nature of both guitar and bass lead me to think that the guys all grew up listening to blues. The punk and ska roots are also very evident, more so in select songs than other. These three genres combined form one very likeable song, and the (although brief) solo's on this album is where the boys shine the most. Whether the bass is pumping out or there's a guitar riff screeching its way into the mix, it goes to show that the guys were comfortable with their respective instruments. Armstrong's voice isn't the high point of Operation Ivy, but I find that it fits quite well with the punk feel Operation has going on. // 10

Lyrics: Operation Ivy were known for their two-minute numbers dealing with numerous kinds of topics: from anti-war ("Unity") to discipline ("Gonna Find You"), Operation Ivy covered it all and went to show that even "punks" had brains of their own. In many ways, this self-titled album is proof that even punk rock can be smart. While not nearly as political as predecessors The Clash (another important punk band), the genius lyrics of Operation Ivy are one of these reasons I enjoy them so much. // 8

Overall Impression: It's not hard to point out why this album is such a hit among fans of third-wave ska and punk rock: the energy that flows from vocalist Tim Armstrong's voice is unparalleled. The whole band is on fire for the entire span of the album, and each song has a unique feel to it. Overall, this truly is one of the greatest punk rock albums ever. You either hate them or love them, but after hearing this, I'm inclined to think that you'll be spending a lot more time listening to Operation Ivy. // 10

Energy Reviewed by: jklsadj;sadjfak, on april 10, 2006

Sound: Operation Ivy was a ska/punk band from berkley, and this was their only album ever released. Energy wasnt even released until they broke up. They were a band from 1987-1989, and 2 of their members went on to form Rancid a few years later. This record is a mix of punk, pop punk, and ska. Its very long, with 27 songs. You can hear major Clash influences in there. Its recording quality is average, but the songs are great. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. Jesse was wrote all the songs, and sang them all. The lyrics are mosly just about growing up, punk rock, and just every day life. They go together well with the fast music. The singer is pretty good, with a sort of typical raspy punk voice. // 8

Overall Impression: I would compare this to anything by the Clash, Sex Pistols, and Rancid. The most impressive songs are Knowledge, Junkies runnin' dry, and the instrumental Bankshot. I love it, it was a very influencial album, and its fast punk/ska at its best. The only problem is I can rarely make it all the way through, as its really long, and starts to sound repetative after a while. But then again, it is their entire career on one disk. If stolen, I'd buy one right away, its one of my favorites. // 10

Energy Reviewed by: SuburbiaBomb, on november 18, 2011

Sound: Well, the first time I heard Op Ivy's "Energy" was a few years ago when I found that old f--ked up cassette behind my cousins couch - So I listened to it - And it blew my mind! I never heard something like that before. The musical emotion and sound in this record are just overwhelming. That skanky guitar riffs by Tim, the rude but emotional vocals and lyrics by Jesse, the f--kin' tricky bass lines by Matt and the hard genius drums by Dave. This record is just legendary! For me it's the greatest album of all time - Maybe I'm wrong but in my opinion Op Ivy's "Energy" is better than some Clash or Ramones stuff - Don't get me wrong: I like The Clash & The Ramones but it's just my opinion. When somebody would ask me somethin' like "Dude, What's Music?" I would just answer somethin' like "Listen To Op Ivy... That's music my friend..." // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are just overwhelming - pure poetry! I never heard lyrics like that before. There are also many topics - kinda like social justice, violence, politics and more. And the fact that he wrote that shit as a teenager also confirm his lyrical skills. As I've just said: Pure poetry on it highest level! The vocals are brilliant too. Jesse sings every f--kin' song with all his energy - A rude but also emotional voice. In my opinion Jesse's on the same level like Joe Strummer or other great punk lyricists/vocalists. In my opinion Jesse's the f--kin' sickest bastard in the punk scene. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare "Energy" to other albums 'cause it's just unique. In my opinion every damn song on this album is is genius. - I mean it! Every damn song! Even the additional tracks from the "Hectic" EP and the "Turn It Around" compilation. Good tracks are "Take Warning", "The Crowd", "Unity", "Missionary" and of course "Sound System". But as I've said: Every songs just f--kin' amazing and unique! It's just that emotions in the lyrics and vocals. That skanky guitar rhythms and that crazy bass lines. It's just pure ska-punk! And I love it! If some sick bastard would stole that album? F--k You! I would buy it again! And if he would stole it again! f--k You twice! I will buy it again as long as I live.. // 10

Comments