Operation Ivy review by Operation Ivy

• Released: Mar 6, 2000
Operation Ivy: Operation Ivy

Operation Ivy was one of the first bands to blend ska and hardcore punk. They were the kings of the Gilman Street punk scene back in the 80's, being a major influence to countless followers (most notably Green Day). All the songs were written in a 2 year span, until Op. ivy decided to break up. "Lint" and Matt Mccall went on to form Rancid, and go by their names of Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman. Many catchy songs on this 27 track compilation, like "Sound System" and "Healthy Body". The album is mostly ska tracks, with some purely punk tracks like "Knowledge" and "Hoboken" as well.

If anything, Jesse Michaels (lead singer) is a lyrical genius. The fact alone that he was able to write so many songs as a teenager is amazing. These aren't your typical teenage writings either, and they are very well thought out and have a real message. Songs like "Healthy Body", "Artificial Life", "Unity", and "Sound System" really show how good these guys were. Much well written than most of the songs on the radio before them, while they were around, and today.

Overall, Operation Ivy is one of the greatest punk bands ever. It's a shame that these guys don't get recognized as much as they should, although Tim and Matt are very well praised for their work in Rancid. The most impressive songs on the album are "Healthy Body", "Unity", "Artificial Life", "Sound System", "Knowledge" (a song Green Day covers), "Jaded", "Room Without A Window", "Yellin In My Ear", and "Hoboken". All of these songs are great tracks, and would entertain any fan of punk or ska music. I really like how well thought out the songs were when they were written, they're incredibly good, especially for a bunch of 18 year old kids. I don't care how many times I lost this CD, I would go out and get another, it is that good.

creepypelican
    It's not called energy. It's their compilation cd with the songs from Energy, and with the stuff they worked on that wasn't on Energy. Do your research. Energy didn't have 27 tracks, it didn't have the track "hoboken" on it.