Blackwater Park review by Opeth

• Released: Feb 27, 2001
Opeth: Blackwater Park

The sound is excellent. They go from death metal to softer piano playing (progressive rock) and it ties all in quite well. I have yet to find any bands quite like these guys. In some of the songs, Mikael uses a standard singing voice, such as in Harvest, and in other songs he just blows you away like in The Leper Affinity. The guitar is frigging fast. Many nice solos. The bass is just great throughout the whole CD. You can actually hear it unlike most CDs nowadays. Drums are quite impressive. A lot of dual bass pedalling.

The lyrics are wonderful some of the best I have ever heard. Every song just makes you think, unlike that other new garbage out there. I think the lyrics on this album are better than the ones from their other CDs. They aren't like sick crap such as most death metal, but just great.

This is my favorite death metal/progressive rock CD. If you have a better one in mind, tell me it. My favorite songs are Blackwater Park and The Drapery Falls. My favorite part of the CD has to be the lyrics or the bass. Both very impressive. If it were stolen I would kill the robber and lock him in a room with Linkin Park playing on repeat; the ultimate tortue. This CD is very worth buying. It may be harder to find than your Metallica, but it is totally worth it.