Blackwater Park review by Opeth

• Released: Feb 27, 2001
Opeth: Blackwater Park

Opeth is an amazingly talented band. I first heard about them from my friend and decided to buy Blackwater Park. This CD, and Opeth in general, sounds different from any other band that I have listened to. They are a progressive death/black metal band from scandinavia. This album gets better and better every time I listen to it. There is some distorted guitar, some nice original riffs, including harmonic minor (Bleak). There is also a lot of acoustic guitar in this album with arpeggios and such. I can't believe an awesome black metal album could have so much acoustic guitar. I definitely like heaver or melodic metal but overall this album is overflowing with musicianship.

The lyrics are pretty good. They mainly talk about humanity and life. The singer, Mikael Akerfeldt, is really talented. He can definitely growl and sing clean. I like both of his vocal styles for sure. Sons like the Leper Affinity stand out in my mind because of the length and range of the vocals. The lyrics also fit the style of music pretty well, pretty dark and creepy.

Since this is the only album from Opeth that I have it's hard to compare it because they don't compare to any other band. They are really talented. Songs like The Leper Affinity, Bleak, and Blackwater Park are my favorite. They blend cool distorted riffs with sick acoustic arpeggios. I love that they can be soft and hard at the same time, and I really don't hate anything about this album. If I bought this album I would definitely replace it but I would probably check out a release like deliverance before buying the same album again.

Orkin
    I personally like the the crashing intro after the fingerpicking in The Funeral Portrait.
    nirvana4lf
    metalreaper450 wrote: The first time i heard the album Leper Affinity and Bleak owned my soul. Opeth kicks ass