Blackwater Park review by Opeth

• Released: Feb 27, 2001
Opeth: Blackwater Park

When Opeth began to write this album they knew that they had stumbled upon some of their best material they had ever written. Even though recording was pain staking, the sound was completely opeth, and completely kickass to fans. They stepped deeper into the melodic death metal genre, they had created in their debut album Orchid, creating songs like "The Funeral Portrait" and "The Drapery Falls". Guitar, bass and drums were all focused on moving the listener and with dynamic vocals, stunning bass lines, and tricky guitar riffs like the one in Bleak. A stupendous Spectactle from Opeth that captures the horrors of a blackwater park.

The Lyrics and vocals off this album are the most captivating and Opeth has created. They understood the mood that they were trying to create and brought that same melancholly along for the whole ride until the last track "Blackwater Park". When everything is said and done, the last part to listen to after you have purchased the album are the lyrics. All you have to do is pull out the inside book and read the lyrics to notice that all the songs are not just a jumble of scratchy death metal growls and beautiful clean singing but also a intricate story about love and deception. The highlight of the album.

Blackwater Park is my favourite album by Opeth. It was also bought out of order for me, as it was the first album that I bought. Yet, I found that even from the get go, it was very eye opening and hardhitting. This album single handidly brought me into a period of depression where I would sit and only listen to the songs deeply and spiritually. For this reason I would definetly go and buy this album if it were lost. All the songs are good, there is no filler, not even filler in the breakdowns or the main riffs, the whole album is made to musical perfection. I disliked the corny acoustic breakdowns in some of the songs, but I loved that when they did appear, they were on common sound with the rest of the song and it's mood. Congratulations to Opeth for creating such a masterpiece, and congratulations to you if you have this album, and if you don't, then go out now and get it!

EpiphoneXII
    defintley an ablum worth every penny. Opeth is an amazing band and they use the talent to there full potental
    KTFM
    Amazing album, I have this, Deliverance, Damnation and Ghost Reveries and they are all brilliant albums and Opeth really is a good band to get into. They cannot be classed in a single genre other than perhaps... Opeth... that's all they can be compared to.
    y-e-a-r-z-e-r-o
    words cannot capture the f-ing kick-assness of this album... bleak, the drapery falls, harvest... oh well i could just name EVERY song....but opeth is so amazing...im a huge fan of their progressive side...i started with damnation and i became totally obsessed with these guys.... to be honest im not a huge fan of most of my arms, your hearse but blackwater park and damnation are a collection of the greatest music ever...