Blackwater Park review by Opeth

• Released: Feb 27, 2001
Opeth: Blackwater Park

This album, although not terribly close to, sounds quite a bit like Ghost Reveries in that it remains classy yet still has the harshness that should be in every death metal outfit. Steven Wilson is the perfect producer, and guest vocalist, for this band because his work on Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverence etc has been phenominal. However, Opeth don't owe everything to the producer alone. Songs such as Bleak and Funeral Portrait are exampls of songs that have good one measure riffs. Most of the songs now-a-days that have one-measure riffs are pathetic. Opeth is one of the few bands that doesn't suck in that way. Now however they have strayed from the one measure lick thing and have started to do eight measure riffs like in Ghost of Perdition. The only thing I may have had a problem with was the piano ending of Leper Affinity. But the band recover when they do the chromatic break in before the explosion of the Arabic presence of Bleak.

I think Mikael Akerfeldt has really improved his lyric-writing ability over time. His ability to write lyrics that fit the best into the music piqued at Ghost Reveries and I doubt it will get much better. But the things that stood out to me the most about the vocals were the places Mikael put in his different bocal styles and harmonies. Adding Steven Wilson in on Bleak was a cool idea as well being such a great singer himself.

I really can't give this album less than a ten out of ten because of the sheer magnificence of the writing and arrangements of the songs. This album would fit well onto the shelf of any fan of either prog metal, death metal, heavy metal, or symphonic black metal. Opeth have a shocking amount of variety in their songwriting abilities and I would be absolutely shocked if they either didn't win a Grammy or if a 20th Century Masters of them wasn't made. The best songs are Leper Affinity, Bleak, and Funeral Portrait.

Burnt Ice
    The best way to experience Opeth is to smoke a J, sit down alone, and just - Listen. Listen to the words, the riffs that compliment them, the band's dynamic quality. That, or you can listen to them sober, which is almost equally as good
    Mahoru
    Brad52 wrote: 9.9 overall rating! im not saying this is a bad album or anything but it definatly is not worth that.
    Well, obviously everybody else don't agree with you, as you can see. I think this album doesn't deserve a 9.9. I'd rate it a 10.
    BlisteringDDj
    Tumble-weed wrote: The best album of Opeth's career. period.
    +1 This is a masterpiece. I don't think Opeth will come out with anything better than this, but it's possible!
    KoGg3
    It must really be the best album of all time, undoubtedly.
    StupidHuman
    TheAmenCorner89
    This album is a classic, with beatiful yet heavy music that is entirely captivating. One of the most, if not the most creative metal band out there
    Minivirus2
    Bleak literally blew my mind the first time I put it on in surround sound, shut off the lights and just listened. Something about the acoustic break just connects with me.
    Artema
    its amazing to see that opeth have such loyal fans. i love feeling exhausted after listening to that album,well,all there albums realy
    TheEmoStrangler
    i only recently actually sat down and listened to Opeth a few years back i heard one song and actually didn't like it, looking back i cant understand how i didn't like them i haven't found a single bad song, the imagery, the melodies, the harmonies, Opeth will go down as one of the best bands of all time in my book.
    AtrumVox
    StupidHuman wrote: Greatest band on Earth! I own every Opeth album, and BWP is definitely my favorite. Every song Mikael Akerfeldt writes is a masterpiece, and never have I heard a band (with the exception of Pink Floyd) that can make me feel the music sonically AND physically. In my opinion, Mike has the greatest vocals in music. Not only are his clean vocals absolutely beautiful, but his growls are brutal and coherent. Absolutely my favorite band of all time.
    +1 i agree 100% especially with the pink floyd reference, i love to listen to a opeth masterpiece like BWP then follow it up with dark side of the moon or another floyd cd
    turbopunk2000
    They should play the Funeral Portrait more often. It's probably my favorite song on the album
    Soul-Monger
    TiDyCaTT900 wrote: yeaaa... Opeth love..lol. they are so bad ass, you should also try Damnation a cool. mellow album
    Damnation is one my favorite Opeth albums. Barely, if any at all, growling so you can hear the poetry behind the lyrics.
    TiDyCaTT900
    hamsterman64
    Great album, great band. I wish people would stop calling them black metal though. Even with the death vocals Opeth is hard to classify as death metal. They are definitely doing their own thing. \m/(>.
    Brad52