Damnation review by Opeth

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
Opeth: Damnation

Out of the Opeth CD's I own this is by far my favorite. It branches out the most from their "normal sound" yet, you can still tell that it's an Opeth album. All of the vocals are clean (not screaming, unlike their other CDs) aswell as the guitars. They're either Clean or Accoustic, though for some guitar solo's they used distortion. This is guitar's give off almost a haunting feeling, that you can almost feel. This is the sort of album that you could listen to for hours on end and it wont get old or redundant.

The vocals are amazing on this album, Mikael kerfeldt proves his singing can go beyond just simply screaming. Something I liked about this album was that the vocals didn't block the sound of the beatiful guitar playing. They mixed the perfect blend of singing with haunting guitar melodies, and kerfeldt proves his singing talent more then he has on any other Opeth album.

This is one of Opeth's best album, if not if not their best. It pushes the Death Metal scene beyond just screaming, and they show that they can still write songs even without distortion. My favorites are; Windowpane, a simply amazing song that you could listen to over and over. Closer, a beatifuly put-together song, And Hope Leaves, simply amazing song. This is a great album that deserves a spot on any music lovers shelf. If it were stolen, I'd definately buy it again, that is, after hunting down whoever stole it.

feesk8ordie
    This was the first album I got by Opeth after hearing a couple of tracks like "When" and "Ghost Of Perdidation" and I didn't realise this was a mellow album, and I was quite disappointed when I started to realise after the second or third track it wasn't gonna get heavy. But then I let go of any preconceptions and allowed myself to enjoy this music for what it is: beautiful, emotive and haunting. This really is a brilliant album and even fans of Opeth's heavier stuff will like it. I'm now gonna get every Opeth album I can find, 'cos they're a really amazing band who deserve alot of credit for writing suvh great music, and being so talented.