Damnation review by Opeth

• Released: Apr 22, 2003
Opeth: Damnation

Wow I know that I'm going to get crucified for this but who cares, this album is the best album that I know, and the only thing that really comes close are a select few maiden albums that no one can deny rock like no other album, but damn this album is good, far, but not changing in mood, this album was opeths victorious attempt at what we now know as the melodic damnation. If you are a guitar player, the haunting riffs are abundant enough to listen to from start to finish. But this is not like many other opeth albums, this can caress the hardest of souls. What caught my ear the first time I listened to it was the guitar solo less than 20 seconds into the first song and I thought, "only opeth could pull something like that off."

All the lyrics, unlike all other albums, were not writen by opeth this time, Death Whispered A Lullaby was written by a friend and although it is the weekest song on the album (argueably) it doesnt't lack any opeth qualities at all. I don't know what else to really say about these lyrics, they are deadly and if you listen they all seem to make sence in a way that no one really knows.

You can't compare this album with others, like I said above though, I like this album a lot and although I do like opeth and don't own any of their other CDs other than this one, I know enough of their songs (and I have covered a couple) to know that this is completely original besides the few times they have had some acoustic songs on their big hit CDs ("like what" you're thinking). But if this CD got stolen it wouldn't matter I would just go out and by two more and if those two got stolen I would go by three and if those three got stolen. All the songs are amazing, a classic CD that you can sit back with a guitar in hand and just listen to all the way through over and over again, but what else do you expect from opeth!

Adamantium
    underrated indeed, that is a fact...but the best? that's an opinion....with which i agree.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I recommend this to anyone, this album has universal appeal and I have gotten alot of people who have no interest in metal (death, black, heavy or otherwise) into Opeth through this album, including one Mormon.
    Ha ha. Mormons can't like metal?
    GarrieMushet
    This really is a great album. This coupled with Deliverance, Still Live, Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park were basically the soundtrack to my entire summer... This album being my chillout/listen to while studying for exams album. I now look forward to 5 or more years of university starting next september, and i owe a lot of it to the soft melodies of this beautiful album, and the geniuses that produced it. I just hope that everytime i study it takes me back to this album, if for some extraordinary weird reason, it's not playing anyways. Amazing.
    Adamantium
    damn dude, this is one of those albums that are a memory, like the music to zelda-ocarina of time, or like a badass song you haven't heard in a while, or like some familiar sound you heard as a child that brings back a feeling you had when you first heard it, a feeling you can't quite put your finger on...this album has that feeling as if it brings back some sort of memory or another, a peaceful one at that, it's one of those albums that inspire a very strong feeling, yet however strong it is, i can't describe it definitely. it's a badass album, all you have to do is listen to it to know what i'm talkin about. opeth for life.
    The Novice
    It's a great album, but I still seem to miss some heavy tracks. Deliverance is one of their greatest albums. kerfelt has the greatest growl I've ever heard but his normal singing is just as ****ing amazing. Opeth and Arch Enemy are the only good bands ever from my country! (Sweden)
    _zac_
    GarrieMushet wrote: Not coupled... coupled means two... more like, "This, together with...".
    get over it this album is awesome, but so are all of Opeth's other albums