Ghost Reveries review by Opeth

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Opeth: Ghost Reveries

Wow, what more can I say when rating an Opeth album. First off, I have to say that Opeth really is a great band, with a singer that can scream his head off in the first couple of minutes of "Ghost Of Perdition" and then in the same song with no warning it goes into acoustic guitar. I must say, I really love Opeth, I alaways have. They really are innovative, what else can I say? I reccomend this album to listeners of death metal to listeners of Arabian folks songs. There really is no unique or trademark sound of Opeth, other than that it is musical mayhem at its best. My favorite song would have to be "The Grand Conjuration." After watching the video one night at Headbanger's ball, I really couldn't stop listening to the song for days on end. Hell I might still be listening to it while you are reading this review. If there is any complaint that I have, or any aspect I didn't like, would that some musical approaches by Opeth in some of their songs weren't wise and carefully thought out. Some songs really dry out the technique of repitition, such as the end of "Beverie/Harlequin Forest," the end of the song gets repeptitve, and many a time I skip it and change to my favorite song, "The Grand Conjuration." Overall, the sound is awesomely, insanely, indubidibly, specatacular. If you like metal, or if you just plainly like music, this album is highly recommended.

The lyrics are short from godly, with the exception of a couple of song that have really played out lines; such as "Searching the darkness..." I mean haven't we heard that before in about a dozen other songs? That doesn't mean the lyrics aren't good, I'm stating one fault of out of one hundred good traits. Some of the lyrics are sick If I do say so myself. Like in the "Grand Conjuration," one of my favorite excerpts would have to be "The eyes of the devil fixed on his sinner." Amazing, just amazing. It's a shame that 5% of the lyrics fall into the category of cliche.

Compared to other bands today, Opeth is a god among gods. Never once have I encountered musical mayhem thay I actually liked. Favorite songs from the album would have to be "Ghost Of Perdition," "Isolation Years," "The Grand Conjuration," hell they are all good. If I lost the CD, I probably would use my backup that I created for it using a CD burnner program; but If I didn't have that, I would definitely buy it again. The sound and the lyrics may have few faults, but when combined together; you will ponder why did I even begin to criticize?