Ghost Reveries review by Opeth

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Opeth: Ghost Reveries

With the addition of member Per Wiberg on keys and Mikael still holding strong as the death metal vocal king that he is, Ghost Reveries stays true to the classic Opeth sound while taking a path less traveled and establishing it's own stance of uniqeuness. The keyboards are quite prominent throughout and keep the listener engaged in the recording. I liked the different switches between the heavy parts of songs and the soft parts such as in Baying of the Hounds and Reverie/Harlequin Forest. The wierd time signatures laced throughout the music give the songs an eerie and off mark sound that can be matched by few others.

Ghost of Perdition has the best lyrics in all of prog-metal in my opinion right up there with Dream Theater and Tool (sorry for comparing Opeth to Tool). Mikael can actually sing but he doesn't know it, so he said once. But he is the king of the Cookie Monster vocals. Apparently the concept that goes with this album was something along the lines of a man who kills his own mother. I thought the concept was rather weak but other than that, great job with the words Lord Akerfeldt.

The first album from Opeth I purchased was Damnation which doesn't really have any distortion at all throughout the whole album so this was my first exposure to distorted Opeth sounds. I must say they have an astounding distorted side as well as their more soft side. Then there are the semi-distorted parts thrown in like in Baying of the Hounds and Ghost of Perdition. This album is an awesome addition to my collection. A cool bonus was the additional intro at the beginning of Reverie/Harlequin Forest that starts in the -1:50s or something. Grand Conjuration is a great song but it might be slightly overrated. I give this a 10 all around.

BassB3ast123
    guitarhead93 wrote: Reebokanonymous wrote: I think it's funny that "Waking the Fallen" by Avenged Sevenfold got a better score than this. Isn't that just plain silly? It's because a7x sells out.
    1st, wtf is an awsome cd. 2nd, that was before they were sell outs
    Reebokanonymous
    Whoa! Waking the Fallen is abbreviated WTF. That's hardcore. I actually have no place comparing the two albums. I like Avenged Sevenfold, but I don't have WTF so I shouldn't be talking. I just don't know how they could make an album as awesome as this. I love this album!
    Trynstopme
    guitarhead93 wrote: The only thing I hate about this album, is the open D tuning. It makes it imposible to play IMO.
    so why not play in open D? Lol