In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] Review

Opeth: In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD]
Released: Sep 21, 2010
Genre: Progressive Death Metal
Label: Roadrunner Records
Opeth's 20th anniversary celebrations are documented well, although not everything runs smoothly.
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 8
 9.1
 8.4
 9.7
 1,130
In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on october 01, 2010

Sound: Finally after 5 months of recording the thing, Opeth have released the footage of their fantastic concert at the Royal Albert Hall in this 5 disc DVD set. As a fan of their music and an attendee at said performance, I just had to buy it ASAP which I did: Pre-ordered on the 27th of August. When it came, I just played the entire DVD section alone to myself for 4 hours. And again. Infact I think I've played it about 4 times since Saturday. As an experience, seeing one of the biggest bands in the metal scene playing in such a place as the RAH was inspiring. On DVD format, I can watch the experience and relive it all over again and again. The live performance was spectacular (use my review from the actual concert on this site as reference) with every single song played to perfection. Classics such as 'April Ethereal' and 'The Moor' have never sounded so well made. Infact, the sound quality itself is so good, I'd choose the live version over the studio version for normal listening (which is good, because the box comes with the live tracks on CD's as well). Everything that happened that night is captured with not a single second of sound cut out nor the breaks between songs left out. Its a perfect capture of that magical night, including every flaw and misshap (such as Mikael's and Frederik's guitars cutting out, twice for Mikael) which now has made me reconsider buying PRS. Although the playing was tight, there was a degree of improvisation going on, instead of using accoustic guitars like on the studio albums, Frederik and Mikael chose to use clean channels and flangers to create a somewhat softer and almost serene sound while everyone just stood/sat in silence and took it all in and in 'Hope Leaves', Fred and Mike took turns for some nice soloing instead of the traditional outro for the song. // 10

Overall Impression: As a band, Opeth are generally uncomparable. Apart from one obscure band from Brighton (Stone Circle, check them out) who sound very similar, Opeth have a monopoly of their undefinable genre. As a purchase for any Opeth fan or fan-to-be, its definitly worth every bit of money. The DVD itself in its entirity is by far one of the most impressive things I've heard. Its a pretty organic thing too, taking a good look at the band thats been through a long, almost grueling career with numerous linups and being financially crippled in the early days. Although 4 and a half hours (excluding the CD's) is a bit demanding for a DVD, its rewarding as well in turn. There's not much else to say but to buy it. // 9

In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 06, 2010

Sound: Choosing the god-damn-Royal-Albert-Hall to film a DVD in is a wise move. The sound will be excellent and the fanboys will reflect on how Opeth's music totally deserves to be aired in the same auditorium as that of the loftiest classical works. Besides, it might just be illegal for an Opeth DVD to be filmed outside of Greater London. The Royal Albert Hall is a stunning room, deceptively large, and truly the only detail detracting from its beauty that night was...the stage. Not to worry, the focal point of the film is the music and if some of the venue's grandeur is lost in translation then so be it.

The most attractive things about this DVD are, of course, the setlists: one satisfyingly balanced retrospective, and one full album performance, both to mark the band's 20th anniversary. There are cases to be made for Still Life' and My Arms, Your Hearse', but it was only ever going to be Blackwater Park' that they'd play in full, and it happens to come together very nicely in a live setting. There are very few disruptions; among them are an obtrusive ride cymbal on Patterns In The Ivy', some patchy screams and numerous exclamations from the crowd. (Over the years, many a punter has yelled a song name or hilarious remark at Opeth, and it seems each and every one of them decided to descend upon the Hall for this. Unconvinced by airings of ever-requested songs, their incessant bellows disrupted the sanctity of the room far more than any amount of death metal could) // 7

Overall Impression: In Live Concert...' is a fairly expensive box, adorned with...lovely typography and packed with good tunes. Is it perfect? Well, no the magic is sometimes missing, as is the guitar signal but it's worth the price, particularly if you were lucky enough to attend one of the Evolution XX' shows. It seems like Opeth might be filming a DVD for each new record now, but it seems unlikely that they'll ever make one with as grand a scenario, setlist or setting as this. // 7

- Duncan Geddes (c) 2010