Lamentations [DVD] review by Opeth

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Opeth: Lamentations [DVD]

This is absolutely the best DVD I have ever watched. The band does the entire Damnation set and then a select few of the post-blackwater park songs. Some notable songs on the DVD are "A Fair Judgement," "Hope Leaves," and "Masters Apprentices". I was truly amazed at how talented this entire band was after watching this DVD. Mikael sings beautifully and brutally, Lopez drums like a god, Mendez will amaze you in the closing moments of the DVD with an insane bass line. Peter shows alot of his soloing off as well as Mikael. If you're a fan of Progressive music, Classic Rock, or Metal you must hear or see Opeth.

Content — 10
The Live Concert is amazing as I've already pointed out. Even better though is the Documentary of the making of the 2 albums "Damnation" and "Deliverance" the band talks about problems in the studio, what started them playing their instrument, what kind of music they like, what the next album will be like. The rationalize some of the choices that they made with the albums. Lopez makes some great comic relief talking about the tensions in the band and the biggest fights they've ever had. If I could I woulda given the content a 10/5.

Production Quality — 10
The show was amazing the lighting blew me away, and the Atmosphere that Mikael brings to the stage is equally charismatic as it is enigmatic. One minute he makes you laugh saying "alright are you ready to make this place into some kind of I dont know hell?" and then starts playing and makes you know the seriousness he takes with his music.

For anyone who has listened to the true metal genre, you'll immediately notice the originality, and complexity that Opeth bring to they're music. In my opinion they are the best band ever. I loved everything about this DVD and I'm not the only one just make a visit to the metal forum and youll quickly learn all about Opeth.

Freyr
    Definitely one of the greatest DVD's I own, from one of the greatest bands that will ever walk this earth. It IS that good. The musicianship is as high as you'd expect from such a top quality band. Their sound is so complex and intricate yet they are able to execute it with such precision and intensity. Itz hard to put one's finger on which songs make you you jump to the edge of your seat in fascination and awe because in this band there is no room for mediocrity all of the songs are amazing and dynamic however I must admit "A Fair Judgment" was an amazing way to end the concert. Great Documentary as well. A must have for fans and an eye opener for those who draw boundaries on the Metal genre. If it were to ever leave my possession I'd definitely spend the R360 or US$60 it cost (again) to import and wait out the 3 weeks it took for it to arrive. Whether I'd survive without it is another question.