Morningrise review by Opeth

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
Opeth: Morningrise

Opeth are, in my opinion, one of the greatest metal bands ever. I know that is saying a lot, but they have proven their greatness with a stream of amazing releases. In Orchid, Opeth seemed like they were trying to discover their sound, while in morningrise you can hear those dark chords and those insane solos that are practically trademark in Opeths later releases. I will admit that I was at first turned off by Morningrise because of its noticably different sound when compared to Opeths other releases; but the second time I listened to a the album completely through, the overall greatness of this album hit me like a ton of bricks. The cd grows on you with every listen and it literally stayed in my cd player for a full month. Like most albums, this one is not without its flaws. The vocals are higher and are very different from the vocals on later releases, and also the production quality is noticealy poor in compare. These problems aside this album just completely blows my mind with how well it all fits together, even with the standard lengthy songs that Opeth are known for. Some standout tracks are "Black Rose Immortal" wich exceeds 20 minutes in length but still manges to be one of my favorite songs of all time, and the album closer "To Bid You Farewell" which is the cleaner, more acoustic ballad of the album and seems to fit perfectly as an album closer.

I can only describe the lyrics as standard Opeth, which is definately not saying a bad thing. The amazing way that Opeth's lyrics creates images is not common in many death metal bands. If you are the kind of person that tries to fully understand every song, you may have some trouble on this one. Although Opeth has some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard, I have always had trouble understanding them. One of the most noticeable things to me was how perfectly the music complemented the lyrics. It seemed like all of the riffs were written specifically for the lyrics to further express the music.

This is overall an amazing album from beginning to end. It may take a few listens for some, but I can only imagine that any Opeth fan or metal fan in general would love this album. This album can best be described as epic. This is not only my favorite Opeth album, but this is by far one of my favorite releases of all time.