Morningrise review by Opeth

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
Opeth: Morningrise

Well, I must admit, that I was quite turned off by this album at first because there were only five 10-20 minute songs. Well, I actually took the time to listen to it, and I must say, it's a great album. I would expect nothing less from Opeth. Perhaps my most favorite part of this album is all of the acoustic parts on the songs. One minute you'll have soft vocals with acoustic guitars, and the next minute, you're hit with harsh growls and great guitar riffs. If you're reading this and you don't own this album, I'll save you the effort of reading my review, buy this album. And if for some reason you don't listen to Opeth, I'd highly recommend doing so. Anyway, allow me to justify my review for this album.

Mikael has never failed to impress me with some of the songs he's written. Everything goes perfect together. And what I mean by that, is that he'll be growling about something, and the guitar, drums, and bass go perfectly with it. And whenever he's just singing, the acoustic goes perfectly with it. Everything is written greatly, which is something to expect from an Opeth album. Probably the best part about Opeth is the fact that Mikael's growling voice as well as his singing voice are both great. It's never disapointing to hear one over the other, as both sound beautiful, and the lyrics that are written help that a lot.

This is Opeth's second album, and it's just as good as any of their other ones. My favorite song on the album is Advent, it's a great song. I love the fact that this CD offers so much in all the songs. You have acoustic and electric guitars, you have growling vocals, as well as clean vocals. And you can actually hear bass in this album, usually it's a bit hard to hear bass without turning your music up. Again, what I don't like about this album is that all the songs are over 10 minutes long. Don't get me wrong, they're great songs, but sometimes when I'm listening to these guys in class, I'll only have about 5-10 minutes, so that means I can only listen to like, 1 song from this album. Advent, The Night and the Silent Water, Nectar, Black Rose Immortal, To Bid You Farewell, they're all great songs. However every song is 10 minutes long, with the exception of Black Rose Immortal, which is over 20 minutes long! If this album were lost, it wouldn't matter, as I'd have it on iTunes and my iPod, but if that weren't the case, I'd definately purchase this album again. Thank you for reading my review, and I hope you liked it.

dimebag420666
    THIS IS MY FAVORITE OPETH ALBUM... EVERY SONG JUST RULES... OPETH YOU ARE GODS AMONG THE LIVING
    ominous_90
    i like long songs and i love opeth so this is the most essential album for me. always listen to it