Morningrise review by Opeth

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
Opeth: Morningrise

Opeth has some of the best sound I have heard from any band, metal or non-metal. The music is very over the top melodic, and just all around beautiful. One thing I love about the band is that once they use a riff, they never go back to it for the rest of the song. There is not typical song structure what'soever, there's no chourus, just all kinds of different changes. They will often break into beautiful acoustic passages. And Mikael Akerfeldt's voice might be the most unique of any voice in metal. He'll usually start with a ferocious death growl, and the next minute will be singing beautifully. Opeth is just about the only death metal band I like, except for some Sepultura, and older bands like Venom and Celtic Frost, but I don't really consider them death metal. So if you're like me and love Metal but not really death metal, give these guys a chance anyway. The music is very unpredictable, where out of nowhere it will break into a beautiful acoustic passage.

Opeth has lyrics you would never expect from a death metal band. Rather than having stupid lyrics that bands like Cannibal Corpse has, Opeth has very strange and poetic lyrics, and I find them to be very amazing. I really don't understand all of their lyrics, but I still very much enjoy listening to them, I look them up on the internet occasionally because I can't understand what he's saying when he's doing his growling, but I always love the lyrics. Don't just dismiss them as another garbage cookie monster vocals band like I think cannibal corpse is.

Here it is song by song:

01. Advent - a great song, starts off very heavy, and at about the three and a half minute mark goes into a nice acoustic passage. At about six and a half minutes he goes into regular singing, and it's amazing as ever. A really good song, and the second longest on the album.
02. Night And The Silent Water - probably my second favorite song on the album, once again starts out heavy, and the acoustic part with the normal singing might be my favorite moment from the album, where he spouts amazing beautiful lyrics, and the outro is also amazing.
03. Nectar - the Shortest song on the album, and probably also the heaviest. In the last minute of the song, it has some of the best slap bass I've ever heard. It also has a great acoustic passage at about a minute and a half in. I haven't connected with this song quite as much as the others, but it's still very good.
04. Black Rose Immortal - the longest and best song on the album, I could talk for hours about how amazing this song is. It starts off heavy, as usual, and this song, unlike many of the others, has a violin sounding interlude, and almost medieval sounded acoustic passages. Then about halfway into the song, it goes into regular singing with no instruments, and then the orchestra sound comes in, and it's truly amazing. This is one of my favorite songs, it's one of the most musically and lyrically captivating songs ever written, after about the third listen, I now listen to this song almost, if not every day. But enough of my rambling, you have to hear it to see just how great it is.
05. To Bid You Farewell - the albums ballad, contains only normal singing, and has some of the most beautiful guitar work of any song I've ever heard. This is another one of my favorite songs on the album, with great lyrics and music.

Altogether, this is really amazing album, and Opeth's prog/death metal sound is unmatched. I gave it a nine because of my lack of connection with Nectar, but there's honestly not a weak moment on hear. Do yourself a favor and at least listen to this.

SlayHunter
    THE best Opeth's album, all song are great, particulary Advent and Blackrose Immortal.
    wyldeshredder
    i think this is one of the only metal bands that doesnt have any real haters. i think they have reached the top of the metal chain, they're a pinnacle in my eyes for sure...u certainly dont hear poeple talking about how much opeth sucks, they are widely respected..i've watched some videos of these song son youtube,and i will defenetely buy this album ASAP
    Slaytanic1993
    Well, wyldeshredder, some people think indie/punk/hardcore bands are better...then again these people are really stupid. So who cares? Morningrise and MAYH = greatest acheivements by Opeth.