Morningrise review by Opeth

• Released: Jun 24, 1996
Opeth: Morningrise

A lot of people relate early Opeth to black metal and yes that is what their sound was associated with most of the time back then. I think the main cause for that is the very reverby sound of the whole record. It doesn't bother me here but I'm glad they got rid of it for the most part. Advent is right up there with Leper Affinity as one of the best riffs songs of all time. It isn't often you hear Opeth playing at 150 bpm and that first heavy riff really sets the tone for the rest of the song. The twenty minute opus Black Rose Immortal reminded me a lot of Demon of the Fall at the beginning and I think it improved as the song went on. To Bid You Farewell is possibly the greatest Opeth song ever and is my favorite on the album. After all of the hooting and hollering on the previous tracks, this song provides a very satisfying ending to this early Opeth classic.

This is where the styles of metal come from. Growling lyrics are usually associated with death metal and reverby screeches are associated with black metal. Opeth combine the best of both worlds on this album with both clean and distorted vocals both being reverby. Thus the association to black metal. This early material helped Mikael define his vocal tone and variety better than any other stuff from the band, (other than maybe Ghost Reveries).

This album came as a bit of a shock to me because it was the first early Opeth album I had listened to and people said it wasn't as good as other records. This is now one of my Opeth favorites. The musicianship on this album is phenominal and it took a lot of work to be able to create all of the arrangements for each different songs. Each song sounds like it may have taken fify tracks to complete! Best songs: To Bid You Farewell and Advent.

Dinopaterno22
    Slaytanic1993 wrote: Well, wyldeshredder, some people think indie/punk/hardcore bands are better...then again these people are really stupid. So who cares? Morningrise and MAYH = greatest acheivements by Opeth.
    i think those people respect opeth, for everybody knows it is good music
    Rebotco
    amazing music! some of the finest ever made. Black Rose Immortal could be the most epic song ever made. and the To Bid You Farewell bassplaying is some most expressive bass i've ever heard.