Morningrise Review

Opeth: Morningrise
Released: Jun 24, 1996
Genre: Progressive Death Metal, Progressive Metal
Label: Candlelight
Opeth brings a unique and exciting impact to the world of metal. The balance of the songs on "Morningrise" is a unique listening experience that is very enjoyable.
 9.4
 9.8
 1,624
Morningrise Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on may 22, 2007

Sound: Opeth has some of the best sound I have heard from any band, metal or non-metal. The music is very over the top melodic, and just all around beautiful. One thing I love about the band is that once they use a riff, they never go back to it for the rest of the song. There is not typical song structure what'soever, there's no chourus, just all kinds of different changes. They will often break into beautiful acoustic passages. And Mikael Akerfeldt's voice might be the most unique of any voice in metal. He'll usually start with a ferocious death growl, and the next minute will be singing beautifully. Opeth is just about the only death metal band I like, except for some Sepultura, and older bands like Venom and Celtic Frost, but I don't really consider them death metal. So if you're like me and love Metal but not really death metal, give these guys a chance anyway. The music is very unpredictable, where out of nowhere it will break into a beautiful acoustic passage. // 10

Lyrics: Opeth has lyrics you would never expect from a death metal band. Rather than having stupid lyrics that bands like Cannibal Corpse has, Opeth has very strange and poetic lyrics, and I find them to be very amazing. I really don't understand all of their lyrics, but I still very much enjoy listening to them, I look them up on the internet occasionally because I can't understand what he's saying when he's doing his growling, but I always love the lyrics. Don't just dismiss them as another garbage cookie monster vocals band like I think cannibal corpse is. // 10

Overall Impression: Here it is song by song:

01. Advent - a great song, starts off very heavy, and at about the three and a half minute mark goes into a nice acoustic passage. At about six and a half minutes he goes into regular singing, and it's amazing as ever. A really good song, and the second longest on the album.
02. Night And The Silent Water - probably my second favorite song on the album, once again starts out heavy, and the acoustic part with the normal singing might be my favorite moment from the album, where he spouts amazing beautiful lyrics, and the outro is also amazing.
03. Nectar - the Shortest song on the album, and probably also the heaviest. In the last minute of the song, it has some of the best slap bass I've ever heard. It also has a great acoustic passage at about a minute and a half in. I haven't connected with this song quite as much as the others, but it's still very good.
04. Black Rose Immortal - the longest and best song on the album, I could talk for hours about how amazing this song is. It starts off heavy, as usual, and this song, unlike many of the others, has a violin sounding interlude, and almost medieval sounded acoustic passages. Then about halfway into the song, it goes into regular singing with no instruments, and then the orchestra sound comes in, and it's truly amazing. This is one of my favorite songs, it's one of the most musically and lyrically captivating songs ever written, after about the third listen, I now listen to this song almost, if not every day. But enough of my rambling, you have to hear it to see just how great it is.
05. To Bid You Farewell - the albums ballad, contains only normal singing, and has some of the most beautiful guitar work of any song I've ever heard. This is another one of my favorite songs on the album, with great lyrics and music.

Altogether, this is really amazing album, and Opeth's prog/death metal sound is unmatched. I gave it a nine because of my lack of connection with Nectar, but there's honestly not a weak moment on hear. Do yourself a favor and at least listen to this. // 9

Morningrise Reviewed by: blackwater786, on october 18, 2003

Sound: Opeth are, in my opinion, one of the greatest metal bands ever. I know that is saying a lot, but they have proven their greatness with a stream of amazing releases. In Orchid, Opeth seemed like they were trying to discover their sound, while in morningrise you can hear those dark chords and those insane solos that are practically trademark in Opeths later releases. I will admit that I was at first turned off by Morningrise because of its noticably different sound when compared to Opeths other releases; but the second time I listened to a the album completely through, the overall greatness of this album hit me like a ton of bricks. The cd grows on you with every listen and it literally stayed in my cd player for a full month. Like most albums, this one is not without its flaws. The vocals are higher and are very different from the vocals on later releases, and also the production quality is noticealy poor in compare. These problems aside this album just completely blows my mind with how well it all fits together, even with the standard lengthy songs that Opeth are known for. Some standout tracks are "Black Rose Immortal" wich exceeds 20 minutes in length but still manges to be one of my favorite songs of all time, and the album closer "To Bid You Farewell" which is the cleaner, more acoustic ballad of the album and seems to fit perfectly as an album closer. // 10

Lyrics: I can only describe the lyrics as standard Opeth, which is definately not saying a bad thing. The amazing way that Opeth's lyrics creates images is not common in many death metal bands. If you are the kind of person that tries to fully understand every song, you may have some trouble on this one. Although Opeth has some of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard, I have always had trouble understanding them. One of the most noticeable things to me was how perfectly the music complemented the lyrics. It seemed like all of the riffs were written specifically for the lyrics to further express the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is overall an amazing album from beginning to end. It may take a few listens for some, but I can only imagine that any Opeth fan or metal fan in general would love this album. This album can best be described as epic. This is not only my favorite Opeth album, but this is by far one of my favorite releases of all time. // 10

Morningrise Reviewed by: Elvendar, on may 27, 2005

Sound: Opeth has always been known for a very lovely range of melodies, from dark and heavy to a very light but sad pseudo-classical style. The guitars are played with such precision and delicacy, that it's no wonder they're endorsed by such big-name companies such as Gibson and PRS. The sound on Morningrise is excellent, though not perfect. Some of the riffs are bit more drawn out than they need to be. I suppose this is what to expect when the band plays songs that are usually around 8 minutes or more in length! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have the amazingly moody and temperate atmosphere as seen on many of Opeth's albums. Morningrise is one of the first albums that Opeth released, though the quality still stands as one of their best albums to date. I often find the lyrics poetic and graceful, even when the growling ensues. This is okay, though, because the lyrics compliment the music perfectly and you have a seamless song that stretches for some time. I would say the lyrics are excellent on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: Opeth brings a unique and exciting impact to the world of metal. A lot of bands lack the tenacity to do what they do; often going all-out emotional music, which leads to an album I can't stand to listen to for more than one song. Other bands go all-out hardcore, which I can't bring myself to listen to for more than a few songs as well. The balance of the songs on Morningrise is a unique listening experience that is very enjoyable. The songs blend from one to the next so you are very rarely surprised by a awkward riff popping out of nowhere. The song "Nectar" is probably the most notable song on this album, right next to "Black Rose Immortal." (But this is only because Black Rose Immortal is 20:14 - one of the longest and most musically engaging songs I've ever heard in my life). If I lost this CD, I would buy it again with no second thought. It is definitely worth buying. // 10

Morningrise Reviewed by: kratos015, on september 02, 2006

Sound: Well, I must admit, that I was quite turned off by this album at first because there were only five 10-20 minute songs. Well, I actually took the time to listen to it, and I must say, it's a great album. I would expect nothing less from Opeth. Perhaps my most favorite part of this album is all of the acoustic parts on the songs. One minute you'll have soft vocals with acoustic guitars, and the next minute, you're hit with harsh growls and great guitar riffs. If you're reading this and you don't own this album, I'll save you the effort of reading my review, buy this album. And if for some reason you don't listen to Opeth, I'd highly recommend doing so. Anyway, allow me to justify my review for this album. // 10

Lyrics: Mikael has never failed to impress me with some of the songs he's written. Everything goes perfect together. And what I mean by that, is that he'll be growling about something, and the guitar, drums, and bass go perfectly with it. And whenever he's just singing, the acoustic goes perfectly with it. Everything is written greatly, which is something to expect from an Opeth album. Probably the best part about Opeth is the fact that Mikael's growling voice as well as his singing voice are both great. It's never disapointing to hear one over the other, as both sound beautiful, and the lyrics that are written help that a lot. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Opeth's second album, and it's just as good as any of their other ones. My favorite song on the album is Advent, it's a great song. I love the fact that this CD offers so much in all the songs. You have acoustic and electric guitars, you have growling vocals, as well as clean vocals. And you can actually hear bass in this album, usually it's a bit hard to hear bass without turning your music up. Again, what I don't like about this album is that all the songs are over 10 minutes long. Don't get me wrong, they're great songs, but sometimes when I'm listening to these guys in class, I'll only have about 5-10 minutes, so that means I can only listen to like, 1 song from this album. Advent, The Night and the Silent Water, Nectar, Black Rose Immortal, To Bid You Farewell, they're all great songs. However every song is 10 minutes long, with the exception of Black Rose Immortal, which is over 20 minutes long! If this album were lost, it wouldn't matter, as I'd have it on iTunes and my iPod, but if that weren't the case, I'd definately purchase this album again. Thank you for reading my review, and I hope you liked it. // 10

Morningrise Reviewed by: aenimafist, on september 29, 2008

Sound: A lot of people relate early Opeth to black metal and yes that is what their sound was associated with most of the time back then. I think the main cause for that is the very reverby sound of the whole record. It doesn't bother me here but I'm glad they got rid of it for the most part. Advent is right up there with Leper Affinity as one of the best riffs songs of all time. It isn't often you hear Opeth playing at 150 bpm and that first heavy riff really sets the tone for the rest of the song. The twenty minute opus Black Rose Immortal reminded me a lot of Demon of the Fall at the beginning and I think it improved as the song went on. To Bid You Farewell is possibly the greatest Opeth song ever and is my favorite on the album. After all of the hooting and hollering on the previous tracks, this song provides a very satisfying ending to this early Opeth classic. // 10

Lyrics: This is where the styles of metal come from. Growling lyrics are usually associated with death metal and reverby screeches are associated with black metal. Opeth combine the best of both worlds on this album with both clean and distorted vocals both being reverby. Thus the association to black metal. This early material helped Mikael define his vocal tone and variety better than any other stuff from the band, (other than maybe Ghost Reveries). // 10

Overall Impression: This album came as a bit of a shock to me because it was the first early Opeth album I had listened to and people said it wasn't as good as other records. This is now one of my Opeth favorites. The musicianship on this album is phenominal and it took a lot of work to be able to create all of the arrangements for each different songs. Each song sounds like it may have taken fify tracks to complete! Best songs: To Bid You Farewell and Advent. // 10

Comments