Orchid review by Opeth

• Released: Jan 1, 1995
Opeth: Orchid

This album was the start of Opeth, the most influential progressive death metal band from Sweden. Orchid shows their many influences including black metal, death metal and of course progressive metal. From complex song structures to incredible riffs all round to mind-blowing scintillating solos, this album has everything. Only problem being parts of song editing were not done properly then, resulting in "Requiem's" ending part being recorded as the first part of "Apostle In Triumph". But that is just a microscopic mistake someone can find in this incredible album. Sound is out of this world on this one without a doubt.

The vocal styles in this album range from growled vocals to clean ones. Mikael Akerfeldt has shown why he is (alright in my opinion) the best metal singer at this point of time. The lyrics on this album are great too. I'm really not much of a songwriter (at least not the lyrics part), so I really don't get a lot of the deep lying feelings in the songs. But I can tell that they are really complex and have deep thoughts put into each one of them, excluding "Silhouette" and "Requiem" which are instrumentals.

Overall, this album has got to be one of the best of the 90's without a doubt. If you are into progressive metal/rock or death metal, this album is a must buy. The best songs on it are all of it. Honest. All songs stand out as the best on the album with "The Apostle In Triumph", "In The Mist She Was Standing", and "Under The Weeping Moon" popping to my mind as the best. "Silhouette" is an awesome piano instrumental that really shows the musical diversity of a primarily metal band such as Opeth. This album and Blackwater Park are the two albums of Opeth that I would like to recommend to any metal fan. The others are also brilliant but these are two are a must in my opinion. If it were lost, well, you know what everyone does. I would do the same. Must buy for every metal fan out there and also for others. These guys have put in something for everybody.

McGelie
    Fuck yeah, my favorite Opeth album! I love the black metal influence on it.
    RAH7747
    Borellus_ wrote: This album is a gem. A little underrated though.
    Actually its a lot underrated.. Even Mikael Akerfeldt doesnt consider this among his finest works..
    lunarbreath
    This album is great.So many beautiful songs like Forest of October or Twilight is my Robe.For me:10
    Joskun
    Sorry but definitely not their best. If where talking about their melodic materials then umm... let me get back to you guys on that one.
    CydoniaKnight95
    Memphis32 wrote: I agree with Joskun! Yeah, this album is important because its the start of it all... but if I were to recommend only two albums to be the best of Opeth, and the most Opethy sounding, would be Blackwater Park and WATERSHED.
    Yeah and Ghost Reveries
    RAH7747
    Well I'd suggest BWP and MAYH.. But i get your point. Definitely not their best but it's a notable mention and one that seems to be overlooked in general..
    Memphis32
    xberserkx
    It's a great album but I honestly can't see how some think that it's their best album. They evolved as a band in later years and have produced better albums because of that. The song writing on albums like Still Life and Deliverance is far superior to Orchid
    RAH7747
    Also, when i posted the review, I hadn't got into the whole album completely.. Now, i'll add 2 more songs to that which are even better than "Under the Weeping Moon" atleast. "Forest of October" and "The Twilight is My Robe" are epics!
    RAH7747
    well opinions differ.. and that's why there can never be a best band/album/song or anything.. but personally, i feel morningrise didnt have very good transitions during the songs which is why i would put it below orchid in the race for the two "melodic" death/black metal albums of Opeth.. That aside, MAYH, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are brilliant albums which established Opeth's sound.
    xberserkx
    Also, out of the first (and only) two melodic death metal albums they put out, I think Morningrise is 100x's better
    Rebotco
    my favotire opeth album!! so many great songs. great bassplaying by the way. DeFarfalla really adds alot to the music.