Still Life review by Opeth

• Released: Oct 18, 1999
Opeth: Still Life

I can't stress enough how talented these musicians are, and not only with thier instruments, they create amazing harmonies, contrast, structure, tone, mixes, dissonance, time sigs, key changes and use of instruments. It really shows that thier are some genuinely talented musians in metal and that it's not just 'shouting'. Opeth must have such a variety in music tastes, they use folk, prog rock and jazz influences layered over thier primary genre death/black metal. I am only giving the sound 9/10 because even though it deserves a 10 black water park has a better sound.

Opeth has who I think is the greatest and most versitile singer alive. He has one of the best death growls I have ever heard and he has the most amazing clean voice and he uses both vocal styles to maximum effect. the lyrics are amazing although they are almost always nonsenceical to me I am sure they mean somthing very special to the band.

This album is Opeth's second best album, but I think it is one of the best albums ever created, it is a must listen to anyone who's into metal, and even if you arn't into metal give it a listen anyway and I am sure you will be able to admire the musicianship of the band. Still Life has progressed a lot from mayh in a positive way, and in the same way blackwater park improves on still life. I love every thing about this album, it is so consistant throughout if I could chose any stand out tracks it would be godheads lament, the moor, and serenity painted death. What ever music your into please buy this album you woun't regret it!!!!

jimmy, the one
    Excellent album i don't believe that opeth is black metal, though the lyrics aren't 'evil' enough
    jimmy, the one
    Mahoru wrote: They've never been a black metal band. They're a progressive death metal band, with jazz influences. And said so, this is the best album of all times, by the best band of all times.
    second all of that
    Down
    Just a small correction, Melinda wasn't engaged to another man, she had become a nun, and was killed for being "unfaithful" to the Church, which she was supposed to be "married to". The outcast goes on a rampage and kills whoever he sees until he collapses. He wakes up before the Church council and they try to make him repent, but they feel he's insincere, so they hang him.
    TheConjuration
    To whoever said the sound wasn't as good as the following albums, I find it to be perfect. Blackwater Park sounds very overproduced to me (nothing against Steven Wilson), while Deliverance, GR, and Watershed fall right into the same groove as Still Life.
    freedomdeceptiv
    opeth are amazing!!!! im more of a dream theater fan but opeth are still one of the greatest in prog metal