The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD] review by Opeth

• Released: Nov 10, 2008
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Opeth: The Roundhouse Tapes [DVD]

On the 2nd November, 2006 the Roundhouse in London received the swedish progressive death metal band Opeth. "The Roundhouse Tapes" DVD was recorded there and then, capturing the band "at the peak of the Ghost Reveries Tour", according to Mikael kerfeldt. The sound is exactly what you would expect from Opeth: a mix of death metal with progressive rock influences and their signature acoustic breaks, completed with a miscellanea of growls and clean vocals. This concert reveals an amazing performance by an extremely competent band; the songs are perfectly executed, giving them a new dimension on stage. Also, between some songs, Mikael kerfeldt does a little of what can be considered "stand-up comedy", which contributes in making this concert a must.

Content — 10
The DVD features the live footage recorded in the Roundhouse gig, which I think it has a very well balanced and interesting set list. Instead of focusing on the "Ghost Reveries" record, the band played songs from many different albums, even from the first ones. The set list, composed by "When", "Ghost Of Perdition", "Under The Weeping Moon", "Bleak", "Face Of Melinda", "The Night And The Silent Water", "Windowpane", "Blackwater Park" and the brutal ending "Demon Of The Fall" is characterized by the variety of styles, and gives a good overview of Opeth's career to everyone. So, I'm definitely satisfied with this set list. The DVD also features band and fan interviews, soundcheck footage, and a photo gallery of the concert.

Production Quality — 9
The video and audio quality in this DVD are simply perfect, with only one negative point -- the audio is 4.0, when it should be 5.1, since nowadays many people have 5.1 audio systems. But the quality itself is irreprehensible, with zero residual noise or any other problems. The film transitions are very cool, alternating between black and white and colour, and sometimes an "old film" effect is used, which suits Opeth's style very well. The packaging is awesome. I bought the Deluxe Edition, which has a simple brown cardboard exterior with the "O" from Opeth's logo on front and the set list on the back. Inside, there's the booklet from "The Roundhouse Tapes" Double CD, but in a bigger size, allowing you to better appreciate Travis Smith's artwork, 5 postcards, each with a photo of a different band member, and a hard cover book, with a photo of each band member, a credits page, and the DVD disc. All these features make this DVD a must-have collectible for every Opeth fan.

I really love this concert because of the set list. Opeth's entire career can be heard (and seen) in this gig, so, as a fan, I can say it simply feels good to listen to it. With the release of this DVD, to be able to really watch the band perform these songs live, and witness their powerful "on stage presence", it was definitely an opportunity I couldn't miss. Also, it's worth to mention that the DVD menu songs were composed by Mikael kerfeldt and Per Wiberg especially for this DVD. I can say I love everything about it and don't hate anything about it... It's a perfect DVD in a beautiful package, at the right time, so... Nothing I have to complain about (because even the 4.0 audio issue isn't that big of a deal). If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again, even if I could retrieve the stolen copy... I would let the thief experience Opeth's brutal beautifulness.

hollowsky141
    Their best songs all on one live album. I've yet to see them live but it sounds like it would have been an excellent show. METAL!!!
    SydBareass
    Agreed, an excellent live album, the inclusion of Face Of Melinda, Blackwater Park, and Windowpane make it a great purchase. That aside, however, I personally found the setlist to be kinda lacking, what with only one song from Ghost Reveries (on a tour for that album), and nothing at all from Deliverance.
    Shinsen88
    I definitely agree. The quality is exceptional. Definitely a must-buy. Just wish it was a bit longer.
    Raven_Flight
    Jonny92
    I pre-ordered but was out when it was delivered :[ but i'll collect it tommorow, i cannot wait to watch it!!!
    StraightHate
    TrasherFromHell wrote: Does anyone know if the Deluxe/Special Edition is a limited release?
    Indeed I believe it was recently released. Great album!
    BKGMorley
    Raven_Flight wrote: I love it! the only song I dind't like was under the weeping moon I think the forest of october would have been awesome! the show was very complete, i wish I had been there! when you think they ended the show with the killer "blackwater park"... they come out and play DEMON OF THE FALL insane
    under the weeping moon is a classic. check out the album version man