Watershed review by Opeth

• Released: Jun 3, 2008
Opeth: Watershed

Overall Opeth has a very unique sound about them that tends to grab you and suck you in, and in my opinion especially on this album. Generall speaking the album can shift from brutally crushing prog/death metal, to flutterly blues and jazz influenced pschedelic rock without any awkward feel. The production is also very good. The drums sound clear and full which is great when combined with Martin Axenrot's drumming. The guitar work on this album really impress me, both sound and playing wise. The sound is everything Opeth is known for and more, with plently of variety. Some of the best are the haunting acoustic sections that flow into pounding, tech metal anthems that won't dissapoint. One thing about this albums I love is it's balance from metal to psychedelic rock and everything in between. The keyboard parts and and jazz fusion freak outs all combine for a very Ozzy era Black Sabbath vibe. it's an experience, not an album.

Lyrically speaking Watershed is very haunting, the kind of lyrics that flow in and are digested later. Though I don't find any of the lyrics to be completely amazing, they are full of raw passion and good raw vibe, so I have no complaints. Though it is important to notice that on Watershed the actual delivery of the lyrics rather than the words themselves are what will hook you.

Overall I love Watershed, it's powerful, yet haunting. Mezmorizing yet entertaing. With everysong you become more entranced by it's strength and yet how fragile it's structure is. I love it! It's in my opinion Opeths best album. I love every song and I've listened to it rather commonly (perhaps every 2 weeks) since it came out. I especially love the psychedelic and jazz influences on it. If it were stolen, I would but another copy for sure, it's one of those albums you've gotta have.

cLarity-
    I don't know about everyone else here, but when I listen to Hessian Peel I cant help but smile. I think this might be one of the best songs theyve written and I think its definitely one of my favorite songs EVER written by ANYONE . I really couldnt sit here and tell you why I like it so much because its one of those songs, for me, that you cannot describe.
    AdriAn934
    Fantastic/Amazing album My favorite so far of Opeth and of 2008 Reminds me of the film "28 Weeks Later" If it had a soundtrack, this would be it imo Great work Opeth!
    aenimafist
    The problem with Watershed is the exact opposite of what they did on Ghost Reveries. When Opeth get a lot of stuff going on at one time they are at the top of their game. I think they didn't do enough of that here. There are a lot of spots where there is only one instrument playing especially in Heir Apparent and something else just needs to be happening there. Plus it needs one more Baying of the Hounds type of track sort along the line of Lotus Eater but it needed to be longer too.
    tolandtwo
    Idk why reviewers were sayin the death growls were the same, they sounded less guttural and more muddled, still a nice album, but i miss Lopez on drums
    irongolem85
    favorite song off this album, and of all time, Lotus Eater. Fantastic album. As for comparing to previous work...I feel like it is so different, I cannot put them against each other.