Healing Through Fire review by Orange Goblin

• Released: May 21, 2007
Orange Goblin: Healing Through Fire

Healing Through Fire is a very good record. Having never heard anything from Orange Goblin before I picked this up because of the positive things I read in metal magazines and I was pleasently surprised. I have heard orange goblin labled as a doom band and although that is close to me their songs sound more like jam sessions, that is the best way I can describe them. Highlights are the Ballad Of Solomon Eagle, Vagrant Stomp, The Ale House Braves, Hounds Ditch, They Come Back (Harvest Of Skulls), and Beginners Guide To Suicide.

Despite this the entire record feels stripped down and raw as though the band are trying to make the album feel live and real by minimising the studio engineering. Each song features deep and rough vocals that are a good compliment to the overall sound. The main flaws with the album are that in places there is a sense that the band are trying almost too hard to be creative and epic with the sound such as in 'Cities of Frost'. In a way the music comes full circle so some feel that there is too much repetition and not enough diversification.

Given the quirky approach the album flows fairly well and is a surprisingly easy listen even if it is a little lost and uncertain in places. The band themselves show no signs of slowing down though, appearing at numerous European festivals over the summer following a full UK tour in May and June.

petitpoil
    recliner33 wrote: Yeah this band does play some doom metal type songs but i would say that they are more like stoner metal/rock. But the frontman for this group is also in the doom metal band called electric wizard. Electric wizard is a good band too and it is alot heavier then orange goblin.
    wtf, OG singer isnt playing with EW.
    recliner33
    -metalhead-
    im not really a fan of this band though...just dont think theyre good...still thats my opinion=P
    HammettFTW
    Love these guys, and agree whole heartedly on the best songs on the track. Oh and recliner how the hell did you think that OG frontman was EW's frontman?