Healing Through Fire Review

8.7
 6.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Healing Through Fire Reviewed by: enterlude, on august 10, 2007

Sound: Healing Through Fire is a very good record. Having never heard anything from Orange Goblin before I picked this up because of the positive things I read in metal magazines and I was pleasently surprised. I have heard orange goblin labled as a doom band and although that is close to me their songs sound more like jam sessions, that is the best way I can describe them. Highlights are the Ballad Of Solomon Eagle, Vagrant Stomp, The Ale House Braves, Hounds Ditch, They Come Back (Harvest Of Skulls), and Beginners Guide To Suicide. // 9

Lyrics: Despite this the entire record feels stripped down and raw as though the band are trying to make the album feel live and real by minimising the studio engineering. Each song features deep and rough vocals that are a good compliment to the overall sound. The main flaws with the album are that in places there is a sense that the band are trying almost too hard to be creative and epic with the sound such as in 'Cities of Frost'. In a way the music comes full circle so some feel that there is too much repetition and not enough diversification. // 8

Overall Impression: Given the quirky approach the album flows fairly well and is a surprisingly easy listen even if it is a little lost and uncertain in places. The band themselves show no signs of slowing down though, appearing at numerous European festivals over the summer following a full UK tour in May and June. // 9

Comments