Asleep Next To Science review by Orbs

• Released: Aug 17, 2010
Orbs: Asleep Next To Science

Comprised of members of Fear Before the March of Flames, Cradle of Filth, and featuring Dan Briggs of Between the Buried and Me, this album is definitely worth a listen. Asleep Next To Science, the debut record by ORBS, is a progressive and experimental endeavor. Dan Briggs showcases his guitar skills with a solo in the 14-minute closer, 'Eclipsical', which is change in pace from his bass duties in Between the Buried and Me. He did also record the bass parts on this record, however. Ashley Ellyllon (Cradle of Filth) contributed the keyboard and piano parts. The piano flourishes at the beginning of the song 'People Will Read Again' and the keyboard solo in 'Eclipsical' refuel my desire to learn to play the piano. Vocalist Adam Fisher also programmed the electronics on this album, which give the album a very spacey feel. The heaviest track on the album, titled 'Lost At Sea', is one that could be found on a BTBAM album.

The lyrics on this record are somewhat out there, but they work well with the music and each song tells its own "story." Lyrics about a magical toad that tells wondrous stories ('Sayer of the Law') and about a child killing other children ('Something Beautiful') are just some of the experimental lyrics that meld together surprisingly well with the music. 'The Northwest Bearitories' is about a man learns that bears can be civilized, but turns crazy and kills all the bears. Catchy choruses can be found in this album, specifically on 'A Man of Science.' Despite all the quirks that any band can include in their lyrics, I've never heard any band able to include the words "grilled cheese" and be able to pull it off like ORBS does in 'People Will Read Again.' Vocalist Adam Fisher (Fear Before the March of Flames) compliments the music very well. His voice may take some getting used to, however, as it is a little nasally. All in all, it is not as bad as that of Axl Rose, and after a few songs, his voice does become more listenable. In fact, on 'People Will Read Again', Adam Fisher's voice works exceptionally well, because the lyrics are about children, and the nasally voice seems like a child's voice.

For a collaboration over the internet, Asleep Next To Science is a very good album. It has quirky lyrics, a space vibe, light sections, heavy sections, and experimental sections reminiscent of Isis songs. My favorite songs on the album would be 'Something Beautiful' and 'A Man of Science'. The songs over ten minutes ('People Will Read Again' and 'Eclipsical') are real pieces of work that are top-notch in musicianship. 'Megaloblastic Madness' and 'The Northwest Bearitories' are great tracks as well. This CD may require several listens to get into, but it is absolutely worth paying for. I would buy this again, not just for the music, but for the CD sleeve as well, which has some beautifully created images of stars and plantes.

RokLobsta
    DSG3002 wrote: Not a fan at all of the vocals, but an instrumental version of the album would probably get a 10/10 rating from me. On the other hand, it'd generally be difficult to find matching vocals for this style of music. Very good album, they just need a vocal solution in my opinion.
    I agree. Just about every band that sounds similar to this has vocalists (the lyrics are generally fine) that don't quite make the same standard as the instruments. I can't think who would be better or how exactly it could be fixed (does it even need to be?). I am yet to hear all of this but I have liked what I have heard.
    Jvig43
    Listening to this now. It's so sick. Certainly out there but it's refreshing.
    DSG3002
    Shaned
    I got a Billy Corgan feel out of the singer, otherwise it's a pretty solid record IMO
    C O B H C
    i thought this band had more potential when i first heard the demos of 'a man of science' and 'megaloblastic madness', i enjoyed them far more than the finished product. that said; it's still a pretty good release. i've jammed it a couple times, and i'd have to give this album a 6 or 7 out of 10.
    Taargus
    EpiExplorer wrote: Vocalist Adam Fisher (Fear Before the March of Flames) compliments the music very well. His voice may take some getting used to, however, as it is a little nasally Its Justin Beiber of the post-whatever world, just be a man and come out with it. Aside from that, interesting from a musical perspective but nothing very 'progressive'.
    The Justin Beiber of the Post-whatever world? How can you possibly defend that? Justin Beiber >autotuned to death >zero musical talent or identity >doesn`t write his songs >BAYBEH BAYBEH BAYBEH OOOOOH >six years old >marketed to preteen girls and middle-aged women with issues >can`t get a billion views on youtube before Lady Gaga Adam Fisher >unique, natural voice >writes great lyrics with plenty of depth and legitimate meaning covering a wide variety of topics >can legally drink >does what he wants, not marketed to a specific fanbase, especially not one as mentally deficient as Beiber`s >basically a talented guy Also, the reviewer was taking a very literal look at the lyrics. I think they`re about religion, science, stuff like that, using things like talking frogs and bears to represent things like nature and stuff.
    timmyeb
    Great ****ing album! I saw them live right after it came out, and there were like ten people in the crowd but they were amazing! Hope they eventually release another album and tour again!
    EpiExplorer
    Sewage Rat
    I saw potential in the genre, the album cover and 'cradle of filth' clearly highlighted. But after listening to 'A man of science', i can say thats its quite a mess, not bad, but messy. I am will listen to the rest though and wont base my judgement from one song.
    Lion_Slicer
    EpiExplorer wrote: Aside from that, interesting from a musical perspective but nothing very 'progressive'.
    What's not progressive about it? I can't name any bands that sound a whole lot like them--they took many elements they liked and figured that they could work well together. The main bands that I could relate them to are The Mars Volta, Porcupine Tree, and Smashing Pumkins--all fairly progressive in their own right. How "progressive" it is is honestly besides the point anyway--it's just some freaking great music. I love everything from the effects-saturated guitar to Ashley's beautiful playing (she was easily my favorite thing about Abigail Williams when she was with them). The vocals are certainly weird at first, but a so are quite a lot of vocalists, so I've come around. And most of the lyrics I find very cool, and surprisingly deep... "People Will Read Again" has some Lord of the Flies undertones (besides the obvious Piggy reference), and "Something Beautiful" reminds me of someone like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. I can't decide exactly what Eclipsical is about... but I certainly spend 17 minutes thinking about it whenever it comes on and I love anything that can be that thought-provoking. Initial WTF reaction replaced by extreme admiration. One of my favorite albums of the year for sure. And of course Dan Briggs is just brilliant. I keep kicking myself though--he's from my home town and I could easily have known him but I hadn't heard of BtBaM in high school....