Punk Statik Paranoia review by Orgy

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Orgy: Punk Statik Paranoia

No, Orgy didn't turn into a punk act -- "Punk. Satik. Paranoia" is just the title of their third release. Los Angeles-based industrial metal band Orgy has been trying to beat "Candyass" success for six long years. One of the Orgy's Jay Gordon goals on this record was converting the few people still out there who remember Orgy mainly by its New Order's "Blue Monday" cover song. So what had been going on during three years from their latest record? They've changed both in terms of sound and lyrics. They parted ways with their major label Warner Bros (which is a risky thing by itself!) -- their long-awaited "Punk. Statik. Paparnoia" record was produced by lead singer Jay Gordon on the band's own D1 Music label. And what do we have after all this stuff happened? 9 unlinked songs with the same sound and the same industrial-tuned synths, which was meant to be trendy back in 1998, not now. It's worth mentioning a few positive moments throughout the record though: 01. An opening "Beautiful Disgrace" takes us back to their debut "Candyass" with distorted guitars and charismatic bass lines. 02. "Vague" has a good sounding chorus. 03. "Ashamed" -- well, nothing special, probably that distorded back vocal? 04. "Make Up Your Mind" -- a reincarnation of "Candyass'" classic Jay Gordon vocals. 05. "Leave Me Out" has an awesome opening, remarkable rhythms plus instrumental parts. 06. "The Obvious" -- good for its kinship with "Candyass". 07. "Inside My Head" -- some vocal experiments. 08. You can hear some resemblance with alternative metal on "Pure". At the second minute of the song it takes us back to what we can expect from Orgy though. 09. And nothing special with the final song "Can't Take This".

On their third effort Orgy is trying to concentrate more on songwriting rather than music. "We want to make people stop in their tracks," says vocalist Jay Gordon. "We may have gone a little bit out there musically on our first two records, but this time we focused on the songwriting." Album's lyrics in their darkest form, covering every topic from love and hate to chemicals and medication, fueled up by continuous screaming from the bottom of insane, are something scary to listen to. Though, despite the large variety of topics covered on the album, you should not expect any sort of a concept or a common thing among songs -- everything is different. Well, I lied though. One thing is pretty much evident - hate and craze. And this fact makes "Punk. Statik. Paranoia" look like a "chinese box" -- although every song is something different lyrically (and could be percepted like the whole and indivisible), after listening to a full set of 9 songs you can get the main idea. Considering my past experiences with Orgy and the current one, a positive growth in lyrics' quality is noticeable -- the lyrics are far more meaningful than on the first two albums: they are focused, more vibrant, solid, and empathic.

Orgy fans mark Orgy's "Punk. Statik. Paranoia" as their best effort to date. Either fans are really "die-hard", or they were too excited to get something from Orgy after their long 3 years break since 2000's "Vapor Transmission". Overall, this record doubtly has a significant positive progress. While listening to the record, it is hard to emphasize a single track -- even more tenacious and catchy riffs and less industrial sound can't help the record to stand out from the nu-metal crowd. Basically, listening to the whole album became boring at just the 3rd track. Thank God, "Punk. Statik. Paranoia." their shortest album to date -- "Candyass" has 12 tracks, and "Vapor Transmission" - 13. And surely, this record won't help them to rip-off "those guys who did that cover song" mark.