Punk Statik Paranoia review by Orgy

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
Orgy: Punk Statik Paranoia

To talk about Orgy's sound, it's a bit hard to classify, for they do have quite an original sound. Its basically industrial, but with a rock/nu-metal feel to it, and with some traces of pop as well. Long-time fans of Orgy will either love or hate this album. On Punk Statik Paranoia, Orgy drop some of their poppy sound and replace it with some slightly heavier guitar riffs. Its not exactly a heavy album, I don't think any Orgy albums will ever be heavy, but this album has definitely stepped away from the kind of pop sound they used to have. You actually hear some decent guitar riffs this time around, instead of some boring synth-effects noises. I'd still classify it as kind of pop-industrial CD, but it definitely has a more rock edge this time. Even vocalist Jay Gordon does a few (brief) screams, and at times the drum work is pretty good. Overall, it is similar to other Orgy albums, but has a slighly rougher, less-pop more-rock feel to it.

Lyrcis are typical Orgy, about society, relaionships, sci-fi, etc. I can't say the lyrics are different from their previous albums, but they work well nonetheless. My only criticsm is that at times the words feel a bit rushed, as if they don't have enough time to fit them in but squeeze 'em in anyway. But they usually use overlapping to sort this out. Jay Gordon's voice is a bit better from previous albums, and fits well with the typical lyrics he often sings about. He even adds roughness to it in some songs, and even manages a few quick screams. It would be good if he did more of those, though.

Overall, not a bad album for this kind of genre. I'm not really into the whole industrial scene, but Orgy do have a unique sound that is OK to listen to. I like the hint of "heaviness" this album has compared to Candyass and Vapor Transmission (their previous CD's), and I hope they start to integrate more of that into their future albums. Good songs to listen to are "Ashamed," "Vague," "Pure" and "Leave Me Out." If they could become a bit more metal, even nu-metal, I think they could kick some ass. The pop sound, in my opinion has to go, even though its part of their originality. If they could, they should at least replace half of it with some guitar riffs instead. Half would do just fine, and would make it a bit more heavier. Ah well, that's Orgy for you. Overall, an OK album. If you wanna listen to Orgy, this is their best album to check out.