Punk Statik Paranoia Review

artist: Orgy date: 12/02/2005 category: compact discs
Orgy: Punk Statik Paranoia
Released: Feb 24, 2004
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Harsh, Visceral, Aggressive, Brash, Malevolent, Rousing, Menacing
Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal
 8.9
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Punk Statik Paranoia Reviewed by: nemesis8256, on april 20, 2004

Sound: Yeah, Orgy's back with their death-pop and it's still kicking a**. The guitar work is incredible, catchy riffs that are pulsing with style, and the drums are really something! // 10

Lyrics: Jay has really outdone himself this time. His voice simulates emotions extremely well and this CD is full of emotions. His screaming really adds to the experience. Some of the best lyrics ever! // 10

Overall Impression: Even though the CD only has 9 songs each song is high quality (my favorite is Vague). If you want to hear something different and refreshing then check out this album. // 10

Punk Statik Paranoia Reviewed by: UG Team, on april 26, 2004

Sound: No, Orgy didn't turn into a punk act -- "Punk. Satik. Paranoia" is just the title of their third release. Los Angeles-based industrial metal band Orgy has been trying to beat "Candyass" success for six long years. One of the Orgy's Jay Gordon goals on this record was converting the few people still out there who remember Orgy mainly by its New Order's "Blue Monday" cover song. So what had been going on during three years from their latest record? They've changed both in terms of sound and lyrics. They parted ways with their major label Warner Bros (which is a risky thing by itself!) -- their long-awaited "Punk. Statik. Paparnoia" record was produced by lead singer Jay Gordon on the band's own D1 Music label. And what do we have after all this stuff happened? 9 unlinked songs with the same sound and the same industrial-tuned synths, which was meant to be trendy back in 1998, not now. It's worth mentioning a few positive moments throughout the record though: 01. An opening "Beautiful Disgrace" takes us back to their debut "Candyass" with distorted guitars and charismatic bass lines. 02. "Vague" has a good sounding chorus. 03. "Ashamed" -- well, nothing special, probably that distorded back vocal? 04. "Make Up Your Mind" -- a reincarnation of "Candyass'" classic Jay Gordon vocals. 05. "Leave Me Out" has an awesome opening, remarkable rhythms plus instrumental parts. 06. "The Obvious" -- good for its kinship with "Candyass". 07. "Inside My Head" -- some vocal experiments. 08. You can hear some resemblance with alternative metal on "Pure". At the second minute of the song it takes us back to what we can expect from Orgy though. 09. And nothing special with the final song "Can't Take This". // 6

Lyrics: On their third effort Orgy is trying to concentrate more on songwriting rather than music. "We want to make people stop in their tracks," says vocalist Jay Gordon. "We may have gone a little bit out there musically on our first two records, but this time we focused on the songwriting." Album's lyrics in their darkest form, covering every topic from love and hate to chemicals and medication, fueled up by continuous screaming from the bottom of insane, are something scary to listen to. Though, despite the large variety of topics covered on the album, you should not expect any sort of a concept or a common thing among songs -- everything is different. Well, I lied though. One thing is pretty much evident - hate and craze. And this fact makes "Punk. Statik. Paranoia" look like a "chinese box" -- although every song is something different lyrically (and could be percepted like the whole and indivisible), after listening to a full set of 9 songs you can get the main idea. Considering my past experiences with Orgy and the current one, a positive growth in lyrics' quality is noticeable -- the lyrics are far more meaningful than on the first two albums: they are focused, more vibrant, solid, and empathic. // 8

Overall Impression: Orgy fans mark Orgy's "Punk. Statik. Paranoia" as their best effort to date. Either fans are really "die-hard", or they were too excited to get something from Orgy after their long 3 years break since 2000's "Vapor Transmission". Overall, this record doubtly has a significant positive progress. While listening to the record, it is hard to emphasize a single track -- even more tenacious and catchy riffs and less industrial sound can't help the record to stand out from the nu-metal crowd. Basically, listening to the whole album became boring at just the 3rd track. Thank God, "Punk. Statik. Paranoia." their shortest album to date -- "Candyass" has 12 tracks, and "Vapor Transmission" - 13. And surely, this record won't help them to rip-off "those guys who did that cover song" mark. // 6

Punk Statik Paranoia Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2004

Sound: I think this is the best orgy album yet. It's more hardcore, a very good anger relasing album. It has excellent guitar riffs. At first it sounds not at all Orgy-like but once you get used to the new sound you can tell underneath the guitar it still has a synthy feel. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as witty but good nonetheless. They are even more addicting than Vt or Candyass. Jay is an awesome Singer and I hope they make more music. Overall really kicks a$$. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Candyass and Vt I think it's a more adult sound. More more drag queen crap but it's still good. If I got this cd stolen I'd go out and buy 5 more copies. I think every metal/electronic/pop/alternative should have this cd in their collection it worth every penny! // 10

Punk Statik Paranoia Reviewed by: Horvat, on december 02, 2005

Sound: To talk about Orgy's sound, it's a bit hard to classify, for they do have quite an original sound. Its basically industrial, but with a rock/nu-metal feel to it, and with some traces of pop as well. Long-time fans of Orgy will either love or hate this album. On Punk Statik Paranoia, Orgy drop some of their poppy sound and replace it with some slightly heavier guitar riffs. Its not exactly a heavy album, I don't think any Orgy albums will ever be heavy, but this album has definitely stepped away from the kind of pop sound they used to have. You actually hear some decent guitar riffs this time around, instead of some boring synth-effects noises. I'd still classify it as kind of pop-industrial CD, but it definitely has a more rock edge this time. Even vocalist Jay Gordon does a few (brief) screams, and at times the drum work is pretty good. Overall, it is similar to other Orgy albums, but has a slighly rougher, less-pop more-rock feel to it. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrcis are typical Orgy, about society, relaionships, sci-fi, etc. I can't say the lyrics are different from their previous albums, but they work well nonetheless. My only criticsm is that at times the words feel a bit rushed, as if they don't have enough time to fit them in but squeeze 'em in anyway. But they usually use overlapping to sort this out. Jay Gordon's voice is a bit better from previous albums, and fits well with the typical lyrics he often sings about. He even adds roughness to it in some songs, and even manages a few quick screams. It would be good if he did more of those, though. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, not a bad album for this kind of genre. I'm not really into the whole industrial scene, but Orgy do have a unique sound that is OK to listen to. I like the hint of "heaviness" this album has compared to Candyass and Vapor Transmission (their previous CD's), and I hope they start to integrate more of that into their future albums. Good songs to listen to are "Ashamed," "Vague," "Pure" and "Leave Me Out." If they could become a bit more metal, even nu-metal, I think they could kick some ass. The pop sound, in my opinion has to go, even though its part of their originality. If they could, they should at least replace half of it with some guitar riffs instead. Half would do just fine, and would make it a bit more heavier. Ah well, that's Orgy for you. Overall, an OK album. If you wanna listen to Orgy, this is their best album to check out. // 8

Comments