Lords Of Dogtown Review

Released: May 24, 2005
Label: Geffen
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Punk Revival
This soundtrack doesn't miss a golden opportunity to market some of the best facial-hair rock of the '70s to a whole new generation.
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Lords Of Dogtown Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 21, 2005

Sound: If your favorite music station is "Classic Rock," if you shout out in the pubs "I Love Rock-n-Roll!", if you get excited just hearing the names of the bands like Nazareth, Iggy Pop, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, this soundtrack album to the movie "Lords Of Dogtown" is a must in your CD collection. All those old rock bands on one CD? I mean, that's just nostalgia, but it's awesome! Starring Emile Hirsch, Victor Rasuk and John Robinson and Heath Ledger, this TriStar Picture's release movie tells the true story of skateboarding legends the Z-Boys ?- a group of teenage surfers from a tough neighborhood known as "Dogtown" in Venice, California who invented a revolutionary new style of skateboarding in the '70s. They combined the death-defying moves of surfing with the art of skateboarding and became overnight sensations and local legends. Using empty pools as their canvas, the Z-Boys paved the way to what is today called "extreme sports," and created a lifestyle that became a worldwide counterculture phenomenon. Rock 'n' roll has always been a huge factor in skater culture, and this CD reflects that being a bulk of good old vintage rock hits. Mercifully, the CD does not consist of the overplayed rock classics. So, instead of "Smoke On The Water," we get "Space Truckin'" and rather than "We're Animals," the listener is left with "Hair Of The Dog." Sequenced together, the eight-plus minutes of Nazareth's "Hair Of The Dog" and Foghat's "I Just Want To Make Love To You" are full of meaty riffs and guitar pedal workouts, and defined by lyrics like "Now you're messin' with a son of a b--ch" and "I don't want you to be true." There are also some covers on the disc -? Rise Against with Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown," Sparklehorse with Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and the lead track "Death Or Glory" -- Social Distortion cover of the Clash's 1979 classic. That's the CD, that's full of songs that will never go out of style and most of the covers could make a good single, doesn't matter how long ago the original songs were written. // 10

Lyrics: You may call it naive or old-fashion and revolutionary, but these lyrics are that generation's hopes and dreams. I think there's some kind of beauty in those simple words -- no hidden sense or unexpected meaning. "I don't want you, cook my bread/I don't want you, make my bed/I don't want your money too/I just wanna make love to you." -? I wish it was that simple now! // 10

Overall Impression: Even though there's nothing new on the album, still it's a total revelation for some younger listeners. I was amused reading other people' reviews on the album. One guy said he really liked the band Deep Purple and was wondering who they are. I mean I know the new teen-generation grew up listening to Dave Matthews Band and Eminem, but I never thought rock is that dead. I would understand if he was looking for info on Rise Against, but Deep Purple... Well, anyway, I guess this CD is a good reason to listen to good old classics once again (or search Google and find out who Deep Purple are). Unlike most of movie soundtracks, which consist of one or two hit singles by some artist on the rise, this CD is just like an encyclopedia of rock. Listening to it, every song brings back an image of a scene from the film, and of your own personal memories. The era when radio stations didn't have 3.5-minute-song limit and the bands recorded 5-minute drum solo on a 10-minute song is gone for good, but that music stayed. Even though it's called classic now. // 10

Comments