Punisher: War Zone review by Original Soundtrack

• Released: Nov 25, 2008
Original Soundtrack: Punisher: War Zone

Anti-hero Frank Castle is back with a vengeance and forced to kick a little more butt in Punisher: War Zone, the newest edition of the Marvel Comics-inspired film series. While there are some soundtracks that are wrapped tightly around the visuals they accompany, the music selected for Punisher: War Zone conveys it's message with or without a special screening. There's also been a bit of hype around this particular soundtrack, namely because some pretty big names from the metal world are attached to the project. Slayer, Slipknot, and Rob Zombie are all on the impressive roster, and not surprisingly, they are also among the highlights. Although there are a few throwaway tracks from other artists, the music on Punisher: War Zone is not as one-note as you might expect from an action movie. Starting it all off is Rob Zombie's War Zone, which was actually inspired by and written specifically for Punisher: War Zone. While it's not necessarily the best song on the album, you do have to give Zombie credit for going the extra mile. Given his past work as a director/writer, it's cool that he continues to support other filmmakers' undertakings. For the most part War Zone is a modern-day Thunder Kiss '65, but that was a cool song in the first place. There is some creative keyboard work added in towards the end of the song, and although brief, it is one of the most melodic sections in the War Zone. Slayer delivers Final Six, which many of you will recognize as the Grammy-winning song from Christ Illusion. While it's always a nice little twist to have Slayer included on any soundtrack, it would have been more satisfying to hear new material from Kerry King and the guys. Final Six might have earned accolades among industry insiders, but Slipknot's Psychosocial delivers the perfect amount of aggression, melody, and amazing guitar work. From the pinch harmonics to the chugging rhythm section, Slipknot's track is easily one of the strongest on the soundtrack. After hearing the first few songs on the tracklist, it may seem that this is one soundtrack that has no intention of letting up on the distorted guitars or angry vocalists. About halfway through, however, things take a very different turn. The biggest surprise comes with Bulletproof by Kerli, an Estonian vocalist who sounds eerily like Alanis Morrisette. It's a very low-key song in comparison to Slayer, but it makes for a nice contrast. Then there are the club/dance selections, which are shockingly good. In fact, they give the metal guys a run for their money. Australia's bass/drum duo Pendulum provides Showdown, which although features very few vocals, turns into a fun, synth-driven song fit for a video game. Likewise, Justice's Genesis is an instrumental that does feel like it's been inspired by Michael Jackson's Thriller in some of the keyboard work - and it's not such a bad thing to be compared to a classic.

Soundtracks are not always cohesive lyrically, particularly when you have an assortment of artists featured. You're going to hear some very different messages - from Slayer's chatter about half-burned corpses and funeral pyres to Kerli's desperate cry to an aloof lover - and it's likely most people will fast-forward through at least a few songs. That may have more to do with the music underneath than the lyrics, but do be prepared for a pretty interesting, eclectic mix of themes.

There are quite a few well-known bands that I failed to mention in the first section, and that's primarily because they delivered exactly what you might expect and kept the status quo. Seether has a catchy, melodic rock song that should please it's fans, but the track does get lost a bit against the impressive work of Slipknot or Justice. Hatebreed, although always consistent with the anger and/or aggression, is actually one of the weaker offerings. The good news is that even though not every band provides it's A-side material, Punisher: War Zone has enough peak moment that you certainly won't find yourself bored or disappointed.

robm32
    am i showing my age if i say i liked the first punisher movie best, which was actually made in late 80's and starred Dolph Lundgren? I am? Ok, ill get my coat.... and why all the fuss about slipknot, you like who you like, metal is villified by the mainstream most of the time, so why argue about it and slag them off if you are a fan of the genre? leave that to the daily mail next time another crazy yank teen shoots up his school.....
    crocoscar
    There is something that you haven't understood : Slipknot SUCKS
    cloud041089
    grunger wrote: metal bandscloud041089 wrote: bigz6006 wrote: Fargalas wrote: slorggetti wrote: "Slipknots 'Psychosocial' delivers the perfect amount of aggression, melody, and amazing guitar work." I lol'd. You did, did you? I can't say I'm a huge Slipknot fan, but I'm somewhat surprised you can say that. What, are you laughing about the "amazing guitar work"? Have you ever heard Mick Thompson or Jim Root play? They're significantly better than anybody here. But I guess they're "nu metal," therefore they must not be able to play every song off of Rust In Peace or South of Heaven, right?
    &feature=related Pwn. actually, like them or not, slipknot CAN play. you're judging their playing by a youtube video of them demonstrating on little line 6's in a room of horrible reverb. yes they can play, but significantly better than anybody out there? do you live under a rock?
    yes.. dragonforce and a7x. trust me, or go see them live. and no.. i listen to stuff like opeth, cynic, dream theater, paul gilbert, galneryus (check them out) and.... OMG SLIPKNOT.
    chrismacker
    ok...lets all jump on the "**** the mainstream" band wagon you people are a bunch of morons im not the biggest slipknot fan but i do listen to them and just because you dont like a band doesnt mean they automatically suck and theyre selling out only making music for thirteen year old kids they make the music they want to make because it's what they're into you dont see me going around saying led zeppelin are a talentless piece of shit just because i dont like them as stated above, you people are ****ing stupid, get a life and listen to music for the music, dont turn your head because the rest of an online forum dont like a certain band that aside, the soundtrack seems to be decent i am pretty disappointed that thomas jane isnt returning in the sequel =[ the first one kicked ass
    ongbakkneedrop
    slipknot is horible...listen to real music...with emotion, not 9 dueschbags being heatbags of stage...and yeah mick and jim are good...but we are talking about the band...like first of clown is a joke, playing a keg, they have a sound effects guy...wow gay!! a timphany player there front man is shit, there garb live and all there songs are the most repedivly homo riffs and give wanks like you a reason to say ur into heavy music...the tuning of the insterments doesnt make you heavy...they sold out and they single handedly sold ouot every other new metal band...so they are garbage...you wanna hear real metal. check the underground where they write for them selves, not for thirteen year olds with father issues....slipknot is a sellout, mainstream shithole of a band
    crocoscar wrote: Fargalas wrote: slorggetti wrote: "Slipknots 'Psychosocial' delivers the perfect amount of aggression, melody, and amazing guitar work." I lol'd. You did, did you? I can't say I'm a huge Slipknot fan, but I'm somewhat surprised you can say that. What, are you laughing about the "amazing guitar work"? Have you ever heard Mick Thompson or Jim Root play? They're significantly better than anybody here. But I guess they're "nu metal," therefore they must not be able to play every song off of Rust In Peace or South of Heaven, right? There is something that you haven't understood : Slipknot SUCKS
    GuitarMann07
    well im a huge slipknot fan, and i do idol them but not like i idol Dime, ( RIP ) but still they do have talent it can be hard to play they're stuff, But they arent the best out there. the song that they should have use in the punisher sound track should have been from slipknots first released album, the self titles on from 1999. i believe its track 13 but im not sure , its called only one. the corus would have been perfect for the movie. :"Only one of us walks away" now dont that just sound bad ass
    GuitarMann07
    they should have use slipknots "only one" from the sic album. that would have bneen better for the chorus. "Only one of us walks away!"
    grunger
    metal bands
    FLUX_
    Australias bass/drum duo Pendulum provides Showdown,. It's Drum 'n' Bass you tool.
    IRONMAIDENTLICA
    U didnt mention Ramallah the band who does the commercials....they are sick, i believe "Days of Revenge" is the song, really good i recommend looking them up
    red157
    The first soundtrack had Queens of the Stone Age, this one has Slipknot and Rob Zombie.
    cloud041089
    &feature=related Pwn.
    ShoeFaceBass
    I'd go see the film just to hear Justice's Genesis, it's a damn good song. Shame it's lumped in with the other crappy bands though.
    ~Shred Hero~
    I dont like any of the rob zombie remixes. They remade dragula for the matrix movie which sucked, and now this war zone isnt all that better. The only remix that I like is the Living Dead Girl remix, IMO.
    Thienskater
    DP_SF_DTX_RATM wrote: Fargalas wrote: slorggetti wrote: "Slipknots 'Psychosocial' delivers the perfect amount of aggression, melody, and amazing guitar work." I lol'd. You did, did you? I can't say I'm a huge Slipknot fan, but I'm somewhat surprised you can say that. What, are you laughing about the "amazing guitar work"? Have you ever heard Mick Thompson or Jim Root play? They're significantly better than anybody here. But I guess they're "nu metal," therefore they must not be able to play every song off of Rust In Peace or South of Heaven, right? owned
    agreed! people just jump onto the "i hate nu metal" band wagon....
    Fargalas
    postmortem2006
    When i saw the name 'Justice', I thought it was on about the German thrash band. I'm obviously mistaken
    fr33t0m
    I'm glad they have Slayer and Zombie, but having Slipknot kind of ruins it.
    tbarrettl
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: imnotinsane wrote: third... Who the cares? It's not like this review is going to get more than 10 comments anyway. What do you want, a medal? On topic, I'm not a big fan of industrial on most of the songs here sound kinda nu-metal...
    11 right here yeah xD, It would be nice if the full track list of these compilations were stated so I had a full idea of what is being reviewed.
    Flariduh
    This
    HotDogs1
    For the most part War Zone is a modern-day Thunder Kiss 65, what is that dude talking about? he had my hopes up, those songs sound nothing alike war zone is terrible its just more zombie techno metal crap
    slorggetti
    Jacob6293
    i'll probably buy it. haven't seen the movie yet though. looks pretty good, i loved the first one.
    SOADriff
    Great band just thought id let UG know you still have the killers frontman as the still for this article.
    vipern
    The movie will be great,the soundtrack will be great(well it would be better if there were Trivium and Disturbed )!Also it would be better if Thomas Jane played the punisher once again!