Resident Evil: Extinction Review

Original Soundtrack: Resident Evil: Extinction
Release Date: Sep 18, 2007
Label: Lakeshore
Genres: Rock
The Resident Evil: Extinction OST is a potent compilation of hardcore/metal rock tracks featuring some of the genre's best contemporaries.
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Resident Evil: Extinction Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on september 20, 2007

Sound: The soundtrack to the motion picture Resident Evil: Extinction released by Lakeshore Records (Underworld) is a potent compilation of hardcore/metal rock tracks featuring some of the genre's best contemporaries including Fightstar, Emigrate, Chimaira, Flyleaf, It Dies Today, and Aiden. The album (myspace.com/residentevilsoundtrack) includes three excerpts of orchestral pieces composed by Charlie Clouser (White Zombie, Type O Negative, Rammstein). The segments present such graphic arrangements that you actually feel like you are in the movie experiencing the suspense and tension building up in the scenes. It's thrilling and creepy at the same time making you feel like you are being hunted. A few of the tracks are remixes like Flyleaf's I'm So Sick which whips up torrent series of aquatic, sci-fi effects and distortions performed by The Legion Of Doom (engineers Chad Blinman and Trever Keith) as Flyleaf's Lacey Mosley's vocals move from silken to wailing periodically. The Legion of Doom also conduct some effective twists on Aiden's melodic nu metal track One Love interchanging between hostile guitar shreds that make you feel their burn with ascending harmonies strategically positioned to release the vehement charring and belligerent vocals. The soundtrack is energized with the grindcore/metal rock crunches of Fightstar on Deathcar and classic metal spirals cauterizing Throwdown's I, Suicide. The film's music is described as post-apocalyptic landscapes on it's site and several tracks accurately depict that sentiment like Chimaira's Paralyzed with its vitriolic heavy metal poundage, Poison The Well's bashing industrial metal pandemonium on Wrecking Itself Taking You With Me, Shadows Fall's Stupid Crazy with pummeling rhythms and crisp slicing guitar cuts, and Emigrate's My World which has Rob Zombie's sinister intonations in it's sarcophagus echoing channels. The soundtrack displays symphonic rock settings on The Bled's Asleep On The Frontlines which is stunningly sharp and melodically whirlpooled as City Sleeps number Catch Me ushers in more modern melodic rock bindings which are idyllic and keep the soundtrack upbeat and above the drowning riptides of the apocalyptic series. Other highlights include Bayside's Anthony Ranen's rippling vocals accompanied by a symphony of strings, percussions, and harp-toned effects on the song Duality and Collide's remake of Jefferson Airplane's song White Rabbit which razzles up an overcast of Middle Eastern accents over metalcore distortions and chainsawing rivets. The soundtrack dives into post-hardcore and experimental rock ferocity on It Dies Today's Sixth Of June and modern industrial metal hammering of Emanuel on Sceneotaph. Of course, what would a hard rock compilation would be without at least one punk rock track. Answering the call is Searchlight's track Contagious which has the spirit of modern rock vibrancy in its thickets of guitar flourishes and billowy vocal motions along pop punk-inspired rhythms. // 9

Lyrics: Everyone's lyrical themes vary but for the purposes of the movie, a few songs drive it home regarding the struggles that the main character, played by Milla Jovovich, endures like Emigrate's lyrics for My World which are about seizing control of an out of control situation: Now you got to belong to me/ Gonna make you mine and make you free in the new world/ This is my world. Bayside's song Duality also deals with inner struggles about figuring out which way is up in what seems like a no-win situation: Some days I get crazed/ I don't know why it's all relevant/ I'll take deep breaths and keep control, go on/ I've tried brave/ And you've tried to save/ I'm proud to keep it bottled up/ I think I past my prompt and lost my mind I'm torn. // 8

Overall Impression: The soundtrack is a venerable testament to the diversity of hardcore/metal's palette. The compilation covers metalcore and grindcore with all its apocalyptic rage and angst while balancing it with modern melodic rock expressions which search and sate the human desire for love. The album shows duality by converging rock with orchestral tones and explodes with antagonist forces that take the vocals from melodically flowy to bloodcurdling screaming. Some songs are straightforward hardcore and others mix it up between metal and melodic rock. If the soundtrack is anything like the movie, the picture will make you feel hunted and thrilled at the same time. // 9

Comments