Saw 3 review by Original Soundtrack

• Released: Oct 24, 2006
Original Soundtrack: Saw 3

Just like the CD cover with three teeth on strings, 20 songs on the soundtrack are scary, horrifying, nasty and frightful. It's a treat for any hard rock music fan - not only there're songs on one compilation worth two albums, but the cast is also stellar. Bands like Slayer, Lamb Of God, Helmet, Meshuggah and Blue October presented their songs on Saw III Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, out October 24 on Artist Addiction Records. There are even two exclusive tracks from Static-X No Submission and Drowning Pool No More. The album features the best guitar works from a bunch of famous artists. There's creativity (Blue October Drilled A Wire Through My Cheek), chunky chords (Helmet Monochrome), dual guitar work (All That Remains This Calling), speed (Avenged Sevenfold with Burn It Down, Ministry Fear Is Big Business and almost every second track). As well as guitarists, the drummers are competing in speed -- tracks like Mastodon's The Wolf Loose and Avenged Sevenfold's Burn It Down sound like the bands have been using machine guns instead of drum sets. Blue October, probably the most underrated band on the soundtrack, presents Drilled A Wire Through My Cheek -- a song with slow haunting chilling verses and loud bombing choruses. Static-X's No Submission is more electronic than everything else. The track is very intense and short (not even 3 minutes) with vocalist Wayne Static barking like a little dog all way though. Monochrome by Helmet is a mellow track with sharp solo guitar, featuring jazz-influenced harmonies. Burn It Down by Avenged Sevenfold has happy major guitar chords and minor melody. The combination sounds pretty insane esp. in a song as stuffed with changes as Burn It Down. Charlie Clouser with Sh*! hole Theme closes the album. It's a beautiful instrumental, worth being a theme to an apocalypses movie. The track draws the pictures of a burned earth with dead bodies still in a fire, pounding drums add a horror feel.

There are 19 tracks, each about something scary -- from physical pain to metal illness. You'll find a plot for your future nightmare among the lyrics for sure. When it comes to vocals the stand-out track is Killer Inside by Hydrovibe featuring actress from the movie Shawnee Smith. The vocalist's Heather St. Marie voice differs from all the screaming, yelling and soaring guys on the CD, making them sound mediocre. In spite of the popular opinion about male vocals in hard rock and metal, Killer Inside makes you feel sorry there are not too many female-singing bands. Marie has a powerful deep voice, performing anger with hysteria. The aforementioned Smith, who admits to be a Hydrovibe fan, performs some cameo backup vocals. Avenged Sevenfold vocalist M.Shadows sings Burn It Down in a cat-manner voice. You keep wondering was it now or miaow has just sang. The idea is cool and gives the song a certain character, but still leaves me wishing he could hit higher notes in the song.

I know I wrote in the beginning that Saw III Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is a must for any hard rock music fan, but it's a great album to listen to for any music lover as well. There's a slew of acts, who are admitted to be thrash's greatest heroes, all songs are the artists' newest, very individual and present the bands from heir better side. The fact is sad enough, but instead of presenting some new and promising bands and give them a chance of promotion, the CD features a bunch of already known guys with quite a high level of popularity, giving the movie directors a chance to add to the movie profit. One last word -- there's not a single song written for the movie.

Jawkster
    ok, sounds interesting, just like that snakes on a plane soundtrack. first comment too woo..
    jacob23
    whoaaaa avengenged sevenfold doent belong here at all. that songs to light, there needs to be an older song on it.
    Dr. Zeduto
    Nice review... but In my opinion you should listen to the CD a few times before reviewing it, isn't it kind of early to review it the day you bought it?
    sk8ero131
    should have cannibal i mean its saw cmon u need songs about mutilation and brutality
    super666fender
    definitly shoudl have CC. liek pounded into dust. very,v ery powerful track. it wouldnt ahve worked marvels. I don;lt like any of the artists here, except for slayer, but non the less, i'm still going to see it. hopefulyl saw 4 will ahve some good death metal!!
    Jondy
    did he mean metal illness, or mental illness? considering the subject matter it's hard to tell. funny either way.
    garden of grey
    RED VETTE wrote: There?s a slew of acts, who are admitted to be thrash's greatest heroes, No, there are no thrash bands here.
    actually theres slayer. a slew is not 4 percent of the soundtrack though
    redraider0016
    andrex1212 : wow.. nu metal just sucks...this soundtrack needs Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Dying Fetus, Death...
    lmao dying fetus, what a joke of a band.
    outlaw metaler
    AzgirioGuitar : They should have had bands like Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Apocalyptica write stuff for the flim or collaborate on a few tracks. Some newer/unheard of bands would be nice too. Okay as much as I like apoclyptica they robaly wouldn't be heavy enough Here are some songs that hould be on the soundtrack Kingdom of Sorrow-buried in Black Heavy ass song and Jamey Jasta is in it Children Of Bodom-are you dead yet The title should explain Lamb of God-ruin heavy and oh yeah heavy Gwar-Just pick one it should work Canniibal corpse-same deal as gwar slayer-raining blood or dead skin mask raing blood obvious why dead skin mask cause its about a serial killer SlipKnot-wait and Bleed
    outlaw metaler
    bobthemonkey14
    Ignoring the arguements...what the hell is stoner metal? That confuses the shit out of me...and they should've had Cannibal Corpse on there...they pretty much try to be as loud and fast as they can while still being considered "music". Such a fine line...
    Hammer-Time
    This soundtrack sounds like it will be ok. should have given a few new comers a chance on here. but you know, these big name bands will sale. nothing wrong with money huh. looks to be a good lineup tho. hell ill probably go buy it the day it comes out...
    Flam3
    andrex1212 wrote: wow.. nu metal just sucks... mudvayne, static-x, (some Lamb of God) is just plain BORING. Same drop D/C/B whatever the **** chords with simple riff patterns and not much creativity, this soundtrack needs Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Dying Fetus, Death (well... unfortunatly we can't really have any of that) but some deathcore, death metal and gore metal would be ****in SWEET if they had done that... oh and they should've had The Berzerker make a song for this album! that band is SICK
    Might wanna listen to Mudvayne again dont put them with nu metal
    FromTheAsh
    emr_steelmech wrote: RED VETTE: No, there are no thrash bands here. No, Slayer isn't thrash at all. lmao what i wanna know is if any of these songs are actually in the movie...i doubt it but that would give me more incentive to see it what the hell? slayer was one of the fathers of thrash. you definately don't know your genres. you may not like slayer, but saying they arent thrash is just stupid. and the songs on this cd dont look that appealing, but im definately going to go see the movie. POSTED: 10/24/2006 - 070 pm / quote |
    DUDE your reading skills SUCK!!!! He was being sarcastic
    Baronobeefdip
    Seriously... What the hell IS stoner metal?! I've never heard of it . Anyway, although All That Remains' This Calling is a kickass song, I think their song My Indictment would be a better choice. It's heavier and a little more relevant. Depending on if they had This Calling strategically placed or not.
    theguitarist
    outlaw metaler wrote: sorry for double posting but people saying slayers The only thrash band Lamb of god considers themselves thrash and Mastodon is half thrash half progso that makes 10%
    Considering yourself thrash doesn't make you thrash.
    Baronobeefdip wrote: Seriously... What the hell IS stoner metal?! I've never heard of it .
    Then go try and find some and you'll see why people call Mastodon a stoner metal band. Checked/Deleted.
    meta1militia
    jazzy21
    i agree with that last paragraph, some new bands should be given a chance to be heard along with the already popular ones. and lol at the prospect of violent deaths occuring with the intro to 'burn it down' playing.
    RED VETTE
    There?s a slew of acts, who are admitted to be thrash's greatest heroes,
    No, there are no thrash bands here.
    mr_pikles
    I wish someone of those bands did do songs for the movie or put on there scary orcestra music.
    AzgirioGuitar
    A7X_Maggot_666
    I love A7X it;s preety cool that Burn it down is on the record Lol it was preety funny when the article said that shadows sang like a cat
    Rebourne
    Yeah I agree it's kind of boring to have soundtracks without some original scores. I wan't some new cool shit, not a compilation of what is popular in the various genre of metal... I'll just go listen to the radio and save my money.
    leeprechaun
    Lamb of God, Mastadon, Slayer (cough-shit-cough bollox)...yeah there are thrash bands there
    mr. riff
    Anyone hear "No Submission" by Static-X yet? That solo in it is fricken awesome! I have high hopes for their new stuff.
    MasterChadwick
    well i like pretty much almost all da bands on it but they could have got some harder stuff like kill whitney dead or opeth
    Violent_Angel15
    Wow, that review almost made me cry! Haha just kidding but I hope the album is as good as they're saying it is, 'cause this sounds like some crazy shit! Xx_VxIxOxLxExNxTx_AxNxGxE xL_xX
    dig up my date
    dude they shoulda put cannibal corpse on there man and slayer does not suck whoever said that
    Savage Animal
    ^ this movie is just asking for death metal. cannibal corpse and autopsy especially. theyd all work better than the crap on here...well Lamb of God and Slayer are good but not the best choice
    emr_steelmech
    RED VETTE: No, there are no thrash bands here.
    xion665
    Sounds pretty good. But i agree with everyone else, there should have been some songs written for the movie. I think the best movie soundtrack made on that basis is The Queen of the Damned soundtrack. So many different artist collaberating on songs for that movie.
    xion665
    CanCan wrote: Is the film out yet?
    No, it comes out this friday, the 27th.