Saw IV review by Original Soundtrack

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Original Soundtrack: Saw IV

The soundtrack for the latest edition of Saw follows in the tradition of the franchise's past releases, with a flurry of today's metal artists lending their hardest/creepiest material to the playlist. The problem this time around, however, is that there isn't the usual heavy-hitters included. With Saw II, the accompanying soundtrack had the likes of Marilyn Manson, Queens of The Stone Age, and even Buckethead -- some extremely big names who can instantly create a mood with one riff. The follow-up Saw III didn't disappoint either, with everyone from Lamb Of God to Slayer (you don't get much better that) on the soundtrack. While the music from Saw IV isn't bad by any means, it certainly does feel like a step down. You get a few iconic artists, but most of the songs come from newer bands that aren't yet in the same league as Lamb Of God or Slayer. The soundtrack for Saw IV begins with Nitzer Ebb's Payroll, which has a nice grooving bass line that sounds similar to Korn's early days. It makes for a great start, but it doesn't draw you in quite enough. Drowning Pool's Shame fare a bit better, thanks in large part to the incredible vocal talent of Ryan McCombs, who seems to channel Layne Staley at times. Avenged Sevenfold's Eternal Rest and Ministry's Life Is Good brings a grittier, distorted sound to the mix, and it's exactly what a film like Saw IV needs to maintain the eerie vibe you get visually. Some of the song choices just didn't match what you might expect from a horror flick, with Saosin and Nikki Sixx's newest venture SIXX: AM being the main offenders. Both are very talented bands, but the songs they chose for the album didn't really flow with the rest of the playlist. Saosin delivers fantastic guitar work and SIXX: AM vocalist James Michael has an absolutely beautiful voice (perhaps too beautiful for this soundtrack), but the 2 bands are almost too seamless. The soundtrack really needs a little bit of danger behind it, and Saosin and SIXX: AM just felt too safe. Industrial metal veteran Skinny Puppy makes an appearance with the song Spasmolytic, which is just plain eerie. Rather than vocals, there is a disturbing vocal sample running over a mid-tempo industrial groove. If Spasmolytic is any indication of what else they could do with the horror film genre, Skinny Puppy could have probably scored the entire film successfully. The heavy presence by industrial bands does carry the CD, although it would have been nice to have a bit more traditional metal added to the mix.

The lyrical content is generally of a darker nature, as should be expected for a horror film. Avenged Sevenfold's Eternal Rest is a great example, with lyrics like, Dark in their hearts; I can feel it burn inside of me; Tormented young with no souls, haunting me. For Saw IV, to not have lyrical talk about death or haunting would probably be the biggest disappointment, and thankfully there is a dark theme running through most of the playlist.

If you're a fan of insanely amazing guitar work, check out the track Crossing The Rubicon by The Human Abstract. It's got an incredible guitar intro that deserves to show up on some future edition of Guitar Hero. Once again, it doesn't really feel like a horror film song, but it is musically one of the most impressive tracks among the 19 songs featured on Saw IV. Not to say that there aren't talented bands on the soundtrack, but it does seem there might have been a smaller budget for Saw IV. Because there aren't any Slayer or Marilyn Manson tracks, it is not going to be an immediate draw for some. Of the 19 tracks, some accurately convey the creepy feel of the film and some are just so-so, generic songs -- and that inconsistency results in a less-than-perfect soundtrack.

Kirenjob
    Woo 1st. Seeing this movie tomorrow. That kinda puts me off a little.
    stevo_92
    squallerrleon wrote: mad typo, wiki and iTunes say diff things
    ... you believe wiki?
    ShredderOmega
    SawIV.. have to see it just to see how they do it.. And in my oppinion II was better than III and possibly even I.. though that's close. Always loved the Saw soundtracks, great stuff
    TheDisturbed78
    i personally think saw is really stupid and makes no sense, but the sound track to saw 3 was good, i have yet to see whats on here
    Jesus_Rev
    GodofCheesecake : Who the hell cares who posted first? Anyways, I find it pretty awesome that there's old A7X on something that just came out, as A7X have come to be known for their more mainstream City of Evil stuff, which is good, but not half as good as Waking the Fallen. I love the vocals at the end of Eternal Rest.
    I Agree
    HavokStrife
    I saw the movie on friday... I'm a fan of, or at least am very familiar with most of the bands on the soundtrack... and I can't say I heard any of them in the movie.. It's like the Freddy Vs Jason soundtrack. Awesome s/t, but where the hell are all the songs coming from?
    silent caution
    i enjoy theses movies....just as long as the story keep going and not just killin peeps for no reason....kinda odd though he died and someone else took over for him but hes back now?
    squallerrleon
    They should mention that it's the European soundtracks that featured most of those bands...
    Metorical
    hah well 3rd!!! yeah this movie looks good, but it'll never live up to the 1st one
    Mahoru
    I saw (lol) the film yesterday, and have to say I loved it. It's gone back to what made the first one great. But it's true that the soundtrack wasn't that good, except a few songs which really stood out (like the ending track, "IV", by X Japan, which was amazing). So to me, the Saw saga goes this way for the moment: I>IV>III>II
    ZarDac
    The First Saw was brilliant, the second one was good, the thirds was ok at best. Saw 4 is probably not going to be very good. They have been losing what was so good about the first ones. Also, I thought they said last year that it was a trilogy.
    GodofCheesecake
    RickyDude
    Rockwillnevrdie wrote: hey just what the world needs ANOTHER saw movie, they should have stopped at 1
    Guess you won't be happy to hear that they're supposed to be making a Saw 5 + 6 then?
    metalgear4life
    I think the song "Do You Want To Play a Game" by unkown Oxygen was a great fit for the soundtrack. It was obviously written just for that movie. I thought it was really good. Anyone else have thoughts on that tune?