The Punisher Review

Original Soundtrack: The Punisher
Released: March 23, 2004
Genre: Soundtrack
Styles: Soundtracks, Alternative Metal
The Punisher have relied on studio-driven collections of manufactured rage that rarely convey the wonder or complexity of their protagonists.
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
The Punisher Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2004

Sound: The thing that attracted me the most about this album was the huge compilation of good bands and the heavy TV promotion it was getting. The sound of this album is so great. I just love almost every song in the album with some exceptions. There are so many great songs of so many great bands all jampacked together to make a great CD. It took me a little to adapt me to the CD. It's just great. It's like so hard and angry but at the same time sad and calmed as well. The sound is excellent and you will be hearing to the songs for a long time because the CD has a very high rate of playability. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are excellent. There are some angry and strong songs like "Step Up" by Drowning Pool, "Bleed" by Puddle Of Mudd, "Sold Me" by Seether but there are also many meaningful, slow and sometimes sad songs like "Finding Myself" by Smile Empty Soul or "Broken" by Seether f/Amy Lee (from Evanescence). The lyrics are so ingenious and so well done. I simply love Smile Empty Soul's song even though I prefer fast paced songs. My favorite lyrics from the albums without a doubt. All of the songs I just mentioned have excellent lyrics and all of them are some of the highlights of the albums. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is just awesome. I think most soundtracks are trash because you may find 5 good songs while the rest are a waste of time but this album really stands out of the crowd. If you love modern rock with anger and meaning go buy this album. If I lost this album, I would uy it again if I find a store who has it. I'm a person who mostly would burn a CD that I lost. That's to tell you how much I like the CD. When you buy the CD, this is basically what you get: 01. Step Up By Drowning Pool: 5 out of 5. An excellent intro song with strong and angry lyrics. Great guitar solo. It's the return of DP with a new lead singer. 02. Bleed By Puddle Of Mudd: 5 out of 5. A solid follow up song. It starts with a slow beat that then slowly picks up until it turns into a fast and rhythmic guitar riff. It has strong lyrics to support it. 03. Slow Motion By Nickelback: 3 out of 5. I simply don't like this song. It has a boring riff and I don't like the lyrics at all. Not 1 of the strenghts of the album. 04. Never Say Never By Queens Of The Stone Age: 2.5 out of 5. This is supposed to be a soundtrack full of songs about angryness and sadness but this song is too inadequate for it. Is just too meaningless and stupid. It's decent (not great however) but it has no place in a soundtrack for a movie like The Punisher. A soundtrack album is supposed to have songs that represent the movie in some way but this song is just not right. 05. Broken By Seether Feat. Amy Lee: 5 out of 5. Finally, a great song to revive us from the stinkiness of tracks 3 and 4. This song is probably the best one of the album because it has 2 great voices, awesome lyrics, a kick ass riff and even a symphonic. The voice of Amy Lee and the guy from Seether are an awesome combination. 06. Finding Myself By Smile Empty Soul: 5 out of 5. So meaningful. I never thought I would like an acoustic song from such a hard band as SES. I simply love the chorus of this song. 07. Lost In A Portrait By Trapt: 3.5 out of 5. This song is listenable but I tend to skip it when I listen to the CD. I think Trapt is a 1 hit wonder and wont get further than "Headstrong". I hope they can prove me wrong. The song is good but not great anyways you cant ask Trapt for much. 08. Still Running By Chevelle: 4.5 out of 5. This song has a pretty good guitar solo and it has decent lyrics. It's great stuff. 09. Ashes To Ashes By Damage Plan Feat. James Cantrell: I won't rate this song cuz I dislike heavy metal and I always skip it when I listen to the CD. 10. Sold Me By Seether: 5 out of 5. This song is crazy. The guitar riffs are awesome and the lyrics are great. The riff in this song is very similar to Spineshank's "Smothered". But I like this song better.Probably my fave from the album. 11. Eyes Wired Shut By Edgewater: 5 out of 5. Strong and new band. Edgewater makes their debut with a very powerful song that offers the most refreshing guitaR solo of the album. 12. Slow Chemical By Finger Eleven: 4.8 out of 5. It's Kane's (from WWE) entrance song. The song has the most amazing intro among all the songs. Amazing lyrics. "Give me what I could never ask for". It's good stuff indeed. 13. The End Has Come By Ben Moody Feat. Jason Miller & Jason "gong" Jones: 5 out of 5. This song has easily the most original guitar riff in the whole CD. For those who don't know who the f-- Ben Moody is, he is the fat white guy that was in Evanescence. The guy apparently departed from the band. He is getting support from Jason Miller and "Gong" James (Drowning Pool's new lead singer). 14. Piece By Piece By Strata: 3 out of 5. Don't really like the song or care about the band. It's decent that's all I can say. 15. Bound To Violence By Hatebreed: Same issue with Ashes to Ashes. 16. Sick By Seven Wiser: 4.8 out of 5. Good song with solid lyrics. 17. Submersed By Complicated: 5 out of 5. Excellent follow up for Sick. It has better lyrics though. 18. Time For People By Atomship: 5 out of 5. I like the acoustic-like intro that picks up into a hard riff. I love the lyrics. 19. In Time By Mark Collie: 2 out of 5. Don't like the song at all. I usually go thru it and listen to Step Up. There you have it. Buy this album it's worth every penny of the U$15.00 I paid for it. // 10

The Punisher Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on july 02, 2004

Sound: The Punisher soundtrack is a lot like the movie. It hits hard in some songs and gets sad in some songs. A lot of the bands sound great on here. What surprised me was the return of Drowning Pool minus the original singer. They sound great. Chevelle had a nice guitar intro. Smile Empty Soul took an depressd acoustic song route. Hatebreed sounded awesome as usual. Overall the sound is either hard or sad rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for some of the songs are good. Smile Empty Soul had some good lyrics and the lead singer sounded excellent. Drowning Pool's new singer sounds great. I liked Puddle of Mudd's lyrics and Wes's voice still sounding like Cobain. The teaming of Amy Lee and Seether was an excellent mix. The song is really great and sometimes gets to me. Amy Lee's voice sounded awesome. Many other bands I've never heard on this cd had good lyrics like atomship, edgewater, submersed, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: The Punisher is one of my favorite movies of 2004. The soundtrack is also one of the best soundtracks I've heard. It's got some great bands like Drowning Pool, Puddle Of Mudd, Seether, Smile Empty Soul, Hatebreed and more. The best songs are by Drowning Pool, Seether, Smile Empty Soul, Mark Collie, Hatebreed, Chevelle, Puddle Of Mudd, Submersed, Edgewater and Nickelback. It's definitely worth a buy. // 10

Comments