Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans review by Misc Soundtrack

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jan 20, 2009
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 6.7 (25 votes)
Misc Soundtrack: Underworld:  Rise Of The Lycans
1

Sound — 9
The soundtrack to Sony Pictures forthcoming motion picture Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans has original tunes that work in conjunction with the movie's sci-fi fantasy motifs crafting a maze of industrial-powered effects and electro-pop circuits bolted in chains of Goth-rock clamps. Produced by Danny Lohner, formerly the bassist for Nine Inch Nails, there are many resemblances in Renholder's (red.lohner spelled backwards) remixes to NIN's music like the towering industrial-Goth lasers and spurts of sonic shrapnel in Genghis Tron's track Board Up The House. The psychedelic riffs of AFI's Miss Murder have an effective spinning with a neon glow creased by dance-club beats. The Cure make an appearance with the shoegazey napalms adorning Underneath The Stars with additional vocals from Tool's lead singer Maynard James Keenan and Milla Jovovich on background vocals. Many of the tracks are masterfully tailored to project other-worldly dimensions and demonic cacophonies, and then sometimes the album cools off like in the sleek molten chablis concocted by Alkaline Trio in Over And Out and the Deftones wonderland of electro-pop ripples draped in frosty sonic glitters snaking along Hole In The Earth. Other notable tracks include William Control's nocturnal feel in Deathclub featuring Alkaline Trio's lead singer Matt Skiba, and Thrice's Broken Lungs remixed by Legion Of Doom. It's an album designed to stir up emotions and evoke the listener to take action.

Lyrics — 8
The overall theme of the lyrics is to shed light on mass corruption and the evils of society creating casualties in its wake like in the Deftones number Hole In The Earth with verses like: Can you explain to me how / You're so evil, how / It's too late for me now / There's a hole in the earth Can you explain to me now / If you're still able / Well, I think you know the truth / There's a hole in the earth Please take a bow / This is the end somewhere, this is the end somewhere. And then sometimes, the lyrics turn inward and even romantic like in the starlit channels of The Cure's Underneath The Stars with images like: Floating here like this with you / Underneath the stars aligned / For 13 billion years, the view, it's beautiful / And ours alone tonight underneath the stars / Spinning round and round with you / Watching shadows melt the light Whisper in my ear a wish / We could drift away so far / Your voice inside of my head like this, it's infinite Flying here like this with you / Underneath the stars aligned Together as now forever as one / In each other's arms so near and so far / Together as now underneath the stars / As the wave break.

Overall Impression — 8
The soundtrack offers club tracks with meat on them. The cinescopic dimension of the songs make for a perfect backdrop in this sci-fi fantasy movie, and the scorching Gothic-tones speckling the album enhance the desperation projected in the storyline of the movie. The crux of the movie revolves around the struggle for power between the Death Dealers who are aristocratic vampires, and the Lycans who are barbaric werewolves. The Lycans leader, Lucian wages a battle against the vampires to free the Lycans from their captivity and brutality. The soundtrack heightens the intensity of this fight into cataclysmic proportions. The movie is about the rise of heroes and heroines against a despotic figure, and the music makes this image more tangible.

34 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Restotoles
    I was suprised when I saw the pop articels but now theyre even doing OST reviews. Excuse me if I dont get it but but where did the whole guitar part of ultimateguitar go
    MasterExploder0
    Harvey_Danger wrote: MasterExploder0 wrote: Sabscope wrote: This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women. Just because something has guitar in it doesn't mean it has to be on this site. If we followed that logic UG would be doing reviews/news on The Jonas Brothers (I hope to god that doesn't happen). I'm pretty confident that most of the people on UG who don't just come here to look up tabs are serious about guitar playing and therefore want to hear about bands/guitarists that have substantial impact on the guitar community. I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise. The Cure? The Deftones? Puscifer? These are not MTV pop bands, even if you think that just because you don't listen to them that makes them such. Who the **** are you to say what inspires people? This is Ultimate Guitar, and these are rock bands that use guitar. Believe it or not, there are Jonas Brothers tabs on this site, so get the **** over yourself and step out of your closed mind for a second.
    You dumbass, I wasn't talking about the songs on this album being poppy or w/e I was talking about UG featuring news about such bands because that guy was deeming them worthy of being on the front page because they have a guitarist. I also never said anything about Jonas Brothers tabs, I could care less about there being tabs for there songs. I was saying they shouldn't be on the front page because this isn't the site for that kind of rubbish.
    Creamcheeze
    I loved the movie, but I don't remember any of those songs being in it lol. I guess I was too busy drooling over Lucian's sexyness
    Harvey_Danger
    MasterExploder0 wrote: Sabscope wrote: This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women. Just because something has guitar in it doesn't mean it has to be on this site. If we followed that logic UG would be doing reviews/news on The Jonas Brothers (I hope to god that doesn't happen). I'm pretty confident that most of the people on UG who don't just come here to look up tabs are serious about guitar playing and therefore want to hear about bands/guitarists that have substantial impact on the guitar community. I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise.
    The Cure? The Deftones? Puscifer? These are not MTV pop bands, even if you think that just because you don't listen to them that makes them such. Who the **** are you to say what inspires people? This is Ultimate Guitar, and these are rock bands that use guitar. Believe it or not, there are Jonas Brothers tabs on this site, so get the **** over yourself and step out of your closed mind for a second.
    SilverSpurs616
    pitbull510 wrote: you know whats funny, is in that in these reviews, I never actually see a tracklist.
    Yeah, that always manages to wind me up
    johnwh92
    The Chauffeur wrote: the cure song is pretty cool. the rest is rubbish
    ...deftones are rubbish? wow man get out of here
    pitbull510
    you know whats funny, is in that in these reviews, I never actually see a tracklist.
    HavokStrife
    Confetti wrote: The psychedelic riffs of AFIs Miss Murder Hahahahahahahahaaaa!
    Seriously... that's pretty much the song that made me hate my one-time favorite band.
    mystical_ace
    Shades of Night: I agree with World War. If you saw the first two, you know exactly what happens. Lucius gets away, and Victors daughter is executed(unless they mislead us). I, like most people was more interested in the the plot with Selene... -Too all those voicing complaints about this review, I dont really understand why. Many people enjoy this kind of music, and would appreciate the exposure to some of the bands on the OST. Don't be dicks just cause it is an OST; is that not music too, with guitars no less? Last thing before I peace out- I have come to this site for years, and to me, it has always been about 2 things; guitar tabs, and exposure to all things guitar. If that happens to be Jonas brothers one day (please don't ever do that administrators) so be it. This site has saved my ass so many times that I think we can forgive it when the articles are not our favorites. Come on guys.....
    ShadesOfNight
    World_War_Z13 wrote: why did they make a movie about the war?? they already explained it in the first ones!! i know some people want to SEE what happened but thats so lame!
    lol, you a dick arent you a real thick dick. if you dont like it, then dont watch it but dont sodding complain about it either but yeh, I really do want to see this movie looks awesome
    Brad52
    MasterExploder0 wrote: Sabscope wrote: This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women. Just because something has guitar in it doesn't mean it has to be on this site. If we followed that logic UG would be doing reviews/news on The Jonas Brothers (I hope to god that doesn't happen). I'm pretty confident that most of the people on UG who don't just come here to look up tabs are serious about guitar playing and therefore want to hear about bands/guitarists that have substantial impact on the guitar community. I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise.
    cause genghis tron is all over MTV
    XtractionProces
    The Underworld OST in particular is compiled majorly of rock/metal songs anyway, so I don't see what you're complaining about. Other than that, this is MUSIC reviews. Not just guitar reviews. If you want guitar reviews, you can GO to guitar reviews. It's just a few clicks away (News, guitar reviews). This looks quite interesting though. I quite liked the stuff Davis did, maybe this MIGHT compare?
    Kalyth
    I really loved the first Underworld OST, while the Underworld Evolution one was much more an "Emo/punk" compilation mixing Cradle of Filth and My Chemical Romance. I see this one is no exception, as AFI has nothing to do withthe mood of the trilogy...
    Peres.T.Peanut
    this site is taking a wrong turn IMHO...first pop albums and now this...Totaly agree with Restotoles.
    ImagineTheThorn
    [quote]XtractionProces wrote: The Underworld OST in particular is compiled majorly of rock/metal songs anyway, so I don't see what you're complaining about. Other than that, this is MUSIC reviews. Not just guitar reviews. If you want guitar reviews, you can GO to guitar reviews. It's just a few clicks away (News, guitar reviews).quote] Exactly.
    World_War_Z13
    why did they make a movie about the war?? they already explained it in the first ones!! i know some people want to SEE what happened but thats so lame!
    Blas3
    Just tell me one thing: Is this whole article supposed to be a stupid joke or commercial? I hope so, because in case it's not, then UG is doomed. WTF IZ DIS SHITE?!
    World_War_Z13
    this movie is only for those new to the series or whatever or are just too dumb to figure it out.
    darkavenger90
    why did they make a movie about the war?? they already explained it in the first ones!! i know some people want to SEE what happened but thats so lame!
    What are you talking about? Its the lead up story. They did it with Star Wars too. And I agree with bigbunny. This does sound like an advertisement...
    Amuro Jay
    Restotoles wrote: I was suprised when I saw the pop articels but now theyre even doing OST reviews. Excuse me if I dont get it but but where did the whole guitar part of ultimateguitar go
    Who really gives a damn? Anywho, it sounds interesting due to all the remixes
    Love_Buzz
    Peres.T.Peanut wrote: this site is taking a wrong turn IMHO...first pop albums and now this...Totaly agree with Restotoles.
    Except this isn't the first OST reviewed...if you payed attention. Not to mention how there is GUITAR in every track.
    Sabscope
    This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women.
    MasterExploder0
    Sabscope wrote: This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women.
    Just because something has guitar in it doesn't mean it has to be on this site. If we followed that logic UG would be doing reviews/news on The Jonas Brothers (I hope to god that doesn't happen). I'm pretty confident that most of the people on UG who don't just come here to look up tabs are serious about guitar playing and therefore want to hear about bands/guitarists that have substantial impact on the guitar community. I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise.
    Harvey_Danger
    MasterExploder0 wrote: Harvey_Danger wrote: MasterExploder0 wrote: Sabscope wrote: This isn't UltimateMetal. Or even UltimateRock. It's about guitars, and most of these tracks seem to be industrial or something vaugly like that - they include guitars. As for it being an OST and as such not real music, I personally think films have some of the best music around - properly atmosphereic, composed pieces of music, not 3 chords and some floppy-haired moron trying to get some women. Just because something has guitar in it doesn't mean it has to be on this site. If we followed that logic UG would be doing reviews/news on The Jonas Brothers (I hope to god that doesn't happen). I'm pretty confident that most of the people on UG who don't just come here to look up tabs are serious about guitar playing and therefore want to hear about bands/guitarists that have substantial impact on the guitar community. I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise. The Cure? The Deftones? Puscifer? These are not MTV pop bands, even if you think that just because you don't listen to them that makes them such. Who the **** are you to say what inspires people? This is Ultimate Guitar, and these are rock bands that use guitar. Believe it or not, there are Jonas Brothers tabs on this site, so get the **** over yourself and step out of your closed mind for a second. You dumbass, I wasn't talking about the songs on this album being poppy or w/e I was talking about UG featuring news about such bands because that guy was deeming them worthy of being on the front page because they have a guitarist. I also never said anything about Jonas Brothers tabs, I could care less about there being tabs for there songs. I was saying they shouldn't be on the front page because this isn't the site for that kind of rubbish.
    That is exactly what you said. In case you can't read it in the quote above: "I believe that this is a site for musicians to come and share ideas and opinions about guitar playing and such and I don't think it should be littered with MTV pop bands that inspires no one guitar wise. " You were giving an example for your argument against this CD being featured on the front page by saying that just because it has guitar, that isn't a reason to have it here. In fact, that is, and my Jonas Brothers point was to illustrate that: if people want to play or listen to it and it has guitar, it has a place here. Believe it or not, people ARE inspired by that stuff. This is a soundtrack with rock bands on it and it has just as much of a place being featured on the front page (no matter how much either of us dislike some the bands) as any other rock CD. Now, GTFO and complain somewhere else before you make a bigger fool of yourself.