Blood review by OSI

• Released: Apr 27, 2009
OSI: Blood

For those who don't know, this is the solo project of ex Dream Theater keyboardist Kevin Moore... Progressive, spacey ambient..cant really categorise, but if you like Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Massive Attack, Dream Theater circa Awake etc then you should like this. This album sees Gavin Harrison in session as well as a track from Mike Akerfeldt. Harrison's drumming blends very well with the ambient synth and heavy guitar driven sounds. Very clean production one of the best I've ever heard. Great guitar and keys sounds.

Kevin Moore continues with fairly esoteric lyrics often seemingly about arbitrary things but I do like it a lot. Kevin Moore doesnt't have any range in his vocals but has a great voice tone and articulation. I love the vocals in terminal in particular. Unfortunately Moores vocals are very quiet and contrasted to a heavy guitar don't work as well as something slightly more ambient.

This is definately a 'project' but a great one. Personally I find some of the heavy parts slightly generic... I love prog metal and obviously got into this via dream theater etc but the heaviness seems somewhat deliberately for the worshiping kids who seem to have overlooked OSI. it's a shame this couldn't turn into a full-time band, because with more gelling and writing this would be an amazing live band. Having said that I love the sound as always and it's still one of the albums of the year for sure.

chromakey
    Had the album over a week now. It has taken longer than usual to actually come to some sort of decision on my feelings with the album. Saying that it was the first OSI album I liked straight away. Contradiction huh? Anyway, my impression was that its the most accessible album of the three.However, I think it has lost some of its identity along the way. It does sound like its trying to be something that it is not, and it does not sound as honest as its predecessors. But it is still a cracking album especially the tracks; The Escape Artist, Termimal, We Come Undone, Radiologue and Blood.
    tekbuddha
    Thoroughly enjoying the new OSI. Blood , Radiologue , and Stockholm are my favorite tracks. I agree that a lot of the heavy progressive material feels "forced". I have to say though, you're review overlooks the contributions of Jim Matheos to the OSI project. Jim & Kevin have been collaborators from day one. While it is quite apparent from listening to OSI over three albums now that Kevin is the heavier hand in the production duo, Jim's signature is still heard throughout the recordings.
    Kroddler
    I was fortunate enough to buy the album early. iTunes had it available before it was allowed, so I have had the pleasure of really dissecting this album. To me this has shades of NIN (Pretty Hate Machine), Led Zepplin (No Quarter), and Pink Floyd, Ministry (earlier stuff) as well as Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos' root bands (Fates Warning & Chroma Key). I really didn't think that the heavier parts were forced as much as I felt the CD shold have had a better flow. However, that is probably one of the few negatives that I can come up with. What I take away from that is this: Kevin and Jim simply don't care what we think, and I mean it in a good way. Any time that an artist stops making music that they believe in, and start worrying about what he or she out there thinks is the moment they start becoming irrelevant. It has quickly dominated my play list, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. I also agree, in that I would love to see this really become the main focus for these two.
    OneBlazedDood
    I had this alvum for a good while now, and I am just amazed. Stockholm, Radiologue, False Start... just amazing songs and fun to try and play. And the part on Microburst Alert where that guy is talking and he goes "STOP STOP STOP" then the music kicks in. Gets me everytime!