Blood Review

OSI: Blood
Released: Apr 27, 2009
Genre: Progressive rock
Label: InsideOut
In Blood, O.S.I. have succeeded in creating a fascinating album at the crossroads between rock and progressive metal.
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Blood Reviewed by: TazMani, on april 27, 2009

Sound: For those who don't know, this is the solo project of ex Dream Theater keyboardist Kevin Moore... Progressive, spacey ambient..cant really categorise, but if you like Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd, Massive Attack, Dream Theater circa Awake etc then you should like this. This album sees Gavin Harrison in session as well as a track from Mike Akerfeldt. Harrison's drumming blends very well with the ambient synth and heavy guitar driven sounds. Very clean production one of the best I've ever heard. Great guitar and keys sounds. // 9

Lyrics: Kevin Moore continues with fairly esoteric lyrics often seemingly about arbitrary things but I do like it a lot. Kevin Moore doesnt't have any range in his vocals but has a great voice tone and articulation. I love the vocals in terminal in particular. Unfortunately Moores vocals are very quiet and contrasted to a heavy guitar don't work as well as something slightly more ambient. // 8

Overall Impression: This is definately a 'project' but a great one. Personally I find some of the heavy parts slightly generic... I love prog metal and obviously got into this via dream theater etc but the heaviness seems somewhat deliberately for the worshiping kids who seem to have overlooked OSI. it's a shame this couldn't turn into a full-time band, because with more gelling and writing this would be an amazing live band. Having said that I love the sound as always and it's still one of the albums of the year for sure. // 8

Comments