House Of Secrets Review

artist: Otep date: 12/01/2004 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Otep: House Of Secrets
Released: Jul 27, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Goth Rock, Death Metal/Black Metal, Goth Metal
House of Secrets is an aggressive, brooding, dynamic, and ultimately boring offering from a band that has yet to find its own voice.
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
House Of Secrets Reviewed by: im not mental, on december 01, 2004

Sound: If Evanescence is Linkin Park with a chick singer, then Otep is like that compared to Tool or Mudvayne. The drumming is awesome, the guitar is nice and loud, and they have a very noticable bass. There's also a bunch of random sounds mixed in there, and the result is pretty scary. If it had the rating, I would give it a 4 1/2. // 8

Lyrics: Honestly, how many chicks do you know that can scream like this? When I first heard this, I thought they had a guy screamer and a chick singer. However, she doesn't really sing on this album too much. Warhead is obviously an anti-bush song, and the rest are very Tool - like lyrics. The compliance of the lyrics and the sound is excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This band would be sort of a mix of Tool, Mudvayne, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but in a good way. I love Warhead, The Autopsy Song, Buried Alive, and House Of Secrets especially. It's not as heavy as what I've heard from the Jihad EP, but it's a lot darker. If it was stolen, I'd just ask my friend to burn me another copy. Again, I'd give the overall impression a 4 1/2. // 8

Comments