The Ascension review by Otep

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Otep: The Ascension

Well, I heard a little Otep one time and was intrigued by the overall sound and style. This woman knows how to scream! And it's crucial to the sound of the band. It's very unique. A "nu-metal" style, familiar but still unique and rare. The rest of the band members help support some of her vocals, with near growls. There is a slight, ever so slight hint of hip-hop in the way Otep (yes that's her name as well as the band's name) actually sings some of the songs since she grew up in LA. But it's pretty heavy metal, with a lot of middle eastern / Egyptian tastes in there, since "otep" is derived from many of the Egyptian god names.

Otep can sing pretty well, and she can scream even better. She does an excellent job on this album, providing an onslaught of rage on many of the songs, but still can take a step back and slow it all down. Her lyrics are decent. The lyrics to "Confrontation" can be a little cheesy sometimes, but otherwise, they're pretty good lyrics.

Otep compares slightly to bands like Disturbed, because of the "label" of style, but also in the delivery of the lyrics. Heavy guitars, strange time signatures at times, some good grooves, but always a strong vocal delivery. Some of the most notable songs are: "Crooked Spoons" "Perfectly Flawed" (to slow it down, and calm it down a bit) "Noose & Nail" along with the Nirvana cover "Breed". I love the music in general. The sound, the lyrics, the guitars, all of it. I dislike that some of the tracks are spoken, and they aren't really interesting at all. But if it was lost or stolen, I, more than likely, would purchase this album again.