Gravity review by Our Lady Peace

• Released: May 31, 2002
Our Lady Peace: Gravity

Our Lady Peace outdone themselves in this record with a compelling and innovative sound. Knowing that the record was mostly produced live as opposed to tracking and layering, there is a lot more vibe and energy to every song. The CD has a wide range of styles from inspiring ballads such as "Bring Back The Sun" to vigorous post-grunge sounds such as "Not Enough". My favorite track on the record is "Somewhere Out There". Being a bass player, I am amazed how the bassist (Duncan Coutts) sets the mood of the song so well. He adds awesome bass licks and lines at the right times of the song to introduce new parts.

The album sounds great lyrically. Again, because the record was produced live that the singer (Raine Maida) had a lot of energy to each track. Raine sings within his key with great passion as the notes and the styles of each song fits the lyrics. Lyrics are mostly in 1st person either singing about love, hope and begging for the truth.

This record is a turning point of Our Lady Peace. With a new guitarist and sound, the styles were a lot more different than Clumsy. I love every single song on this album (especially No.3 Somewhere Out There). I would classify Our Lady Peace to join the groups of Matchbox 20, Staind and Nickelback. But I think this Canadian Modern Rock Quartet stands out as they create a unique style of its own.

Romulox13
    dont ever compare OLP to Matchbox 20 Staind or Nickelback. thats like comparing Gold to well... shit. cause thats what those other 3 are.
    miguelito2729
    OLP ****ing rocks!!!!! I love them so bad and I hate for not having been to the show in MTL. I think that Gravity is BY FAR their best album ever! IF not one the best Albums EVER made period.
    miguelito2729
    whops sorry my 2nd sentence isn't complete, it should say: ... I hate myself for not .... sorry
    DemonDante
    OLP = Greatness, they are such an amazing band. Can't wait for A Decade (their greatest hits so far)
    HughF
    This review is very misleading. This album does not even begin to approach any of the band's other efforts, even though it is worth buying. Ten year old children should not write music reviews, or else they turn out like this, an absolutely glowing review on an album that was only average. That and the fact that it sounds like an essay, not a review. Anyways, I'm an OLP fan, so no flaming.
    SARASMiLE
    This, imo, was OLP's best album. Raine's voice is incredible. I love his solo stuff too.