Healthy In Paraniod Times review by Our Lady Peace

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Our Lady Peace: Healthy In Paraniod Times

This is OLP's new album. The sound of this album, in some parts, is very light and energetic. This is evident in the first single "Where Are You?" There are songs on the album, however, that are very dark and dreary. The best example of this is "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face." The variety is nice, as not all the songs sound the same, unlike music from other artists (pop). This album has a huge story to it. It took 1165 days to complete (over 3 years). There were 43 songs that were written and recorded for the album, and only 12 made the final cut! The band posted on their website that nearly everyone at some point quit the band, showing how stressful this album was to make. Personally, I'm glad none of them ever went through with quiting, cause this album is amazing. For those that are interested, read the cover notes, they are rather interesting.

The lyrics are powerful in spots, and fun in other spots. This again goes back to the style of the song. A large portion of the album is politically charged, which is to be expected from an OLP record. Some of the songs reflect Raine's personall experiences, as he traveled to war torn countries as a representitive of War Child. His experiences are evident on the album. The lyrics work with the instrumentals wonderfully. And of course, there are some pattented high pitched squeals from Raine on this album (where would OLP without those).

This album really doesn't compare to any of their other recordings. It's like a mix of everything that worked in the past, and nothing that failed. Every song is good for it's own reason. However, The song that stand out the most are "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face" with it's dark eary sense and in your face lyrics. Each song is amazing, but for it's own reason. The only thing I would do is add the 13th track to this album (believed to be entitled Vampires) back onto the album, that song had so much potential! If it were stolen or lost, I would deffinatly buy another copy, no questions asked.