Healthy In Paraniod Times review by Our Lady Peace

• Released: Aug 30, 2005
Our Lady Peace: Healthy In Paraniod Times

Nothing really ground-breaking in the sound department. The songs are well layered and produced. Possibly a little over produced. Their sound can be kind of bland at times. Our Lady Peace is pretty much a mainstream pop band now, with Raine's voice and delivery kind of setting them apart. However, I miss the old Our Lady Peace. They used to have a much more distinct sound. You'd never know when Raine would go off into some cool falsetto. The music was more unpredictable and creative as well. But if you've always been an OLP fan like I have, then you will still enjoy the sound on this album. Standouts are Angels/Losing/Sleep, Will The Future Blame Us, and Wipe That Smile Off Your Face (my personal favorite).

Some people will really like the lyrics. The songs are well written, but I'm just not big on what they're about. Our Lady Peace have gotten really political on this album. I hear about politics enough as it is, I don't need to look to Our Lady Peace for political messages. Of course songs can mean different things to different people so it really isn't that big of a deal. I guess Raine Maida toured Sudan and Iraq and saw all the atrocities going on there. I know that terrible things are going on around the world and I am very glad that I live in the United States. However, should I feel guilty that I live here? That's the way some of the lyrics come off to me. I mean, people sacrificed to make this the great country that it is. I definitely don't believe in imposing our culture on the rest of the world, but many countries could learn some valuable lessons from us. Bottom line is that Raine Maida is a talented lyricist. I just wish he would have stayed away from politics.

Overall, it is a fairly good CD. Just as good or better than Gravity, but doesn't compare to Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness, or Spiritual Machines. So if you don't have any of the previous four CDs then buy those before you get this one or Gravity. Raine sounds fine on this CD, but he and the band have just become a lot more predictable than they used to be. However, it is still Our Lady Peace, so that means it is still worth buying. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy it again. Oh, and one more thing. It comes in a regular audio CD version, or a dual disc version with a making of the CD video and the full album on the DVD side in PCM stereo. I bought the dual disc version. It states that the audio CD is not made to specifications and will not work on all CD players. It works in my stereo and in my car, but the audio CD side would not play in my computer. That was kind of annoying because I like to back up all my CDs on my computer. I also use my computer as a Cd player and stereo a lot so now I can't add this CD to my library. Shame on you OLP.