Healthy In Paraniod Times Review

8.6
 9.5
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Healthy In Paraniod Times Reviewed by: onemanarmy9, on september 02, 2005

Sound: This is OLP's new album. The sound of this album, in some parts, is very light and energetic. This is evident in the first single "Where Are You?" There are songs on the album, however, that are very dark and dreary. The best example of this is "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face." The variety is nice, as not all the songs sound the same, unlike music from other artists (pop). This album has a huge story to it. It took 1165 days to complete (over 3 years). There were 43 songs that were written and recorded for the album, and only 12 made the final cut! The band posted on their website that nearly everyone at some point quit the band, showing how stressful this album was to make. Personally, I'm glad none of them ever went through with quiting, cause this album is amazing. For those that are interested, read the cover notes, they are rather interesting. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are powerful in spots, and fun in other spots. This again goes back to the style of the song. A large portion of the album is politically charged, which is to be expected from an OLP record. Some of the songs reflect Raine's personall experiences, as he traveled to war torn countries as a representitive of War Child. His experiences are evident on the album. The lyrics work with the instrumentals wonderfully. And of course, there are some pattented high pitched squeals from Raine on this album (where would OLP without those). // 8

Overall Impression: This album really doesn't compare to any of their other recordings. It's like a mix of everything that worked in the past, and nothing that failed. Every song is good for it's own reason. However, The song that stand out the most are "Wipe That Smile Off Your Face" with it's dark eary sense and in your face lyrics. Each song is amazing, but for it's own reason. The only thing I would do is add the 13th track to this album (believed to be entitled Vampires) back onto the album, that song had so much potential! If it were stolen or lost, I would deffinatly buy another copy, no questions asked. // 10

Healthy In Paraniod Times Reviewed by: csoulman, on september 05, 2005

Sound: Nothing really ground-breaking in the sound department. The songs are well layered and produced. Possibly a little over produced. Their sound can be kind of bland at times. Our Lady Peace is pretty much a mainstream pop band now, with Raine's voice and delivery kind of setting them apart. However, I miss the old Our Lady Peace. They used to have a much more distinct sound. You'd never know when Raine would go off into some cool falsetto. The music was more unpredictable and creative as well. But if you've always been an OLP fan like I have, then you will still enjoy the sound on this album. Standouts are Angels/Losing/Sleep, Will The Future Blame Us, and Wipe That Smile Off Your Face (my personal favorite). // 8

Lyrics: Some people will really like the lyrics. The songs are well written, but I'm just not big on what they're about. Our Lady Peace have gotten really political on this album. I hear about politics enough as it is, I don't need to look to Our Lady Peace for political messages. Of course songs can mean different things to different people so it really isn't that big of a deal. I guess Raine Maida toured Sudan and Iraq and saw all the atrocities going on there. I know that terrible things are going on around the world and I am very glad that I live in the United States. However, should I feel guilty that I live here? That's the way some of the lyrics come off to me. I mean, people sacrificed to make this the great country that it is. I definitely don't believe in imposing our culture on the rest of the world, but many countries could learn some valuable lessons from us. Bottom line is that Raine Maida is a talented lyricist. I just wish he would have stayed away from politics. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, it is a fairly good CD. Just as good or better than Gravity, but doesn't compare to Naveed, Clumsy, Happiness, or Spiritual Machines. So if you don't have any of the previous four CDs then buy those before you get this one or Gravity. Raine sounds fine on this CD, but he and the band have just become a lot more predictable than they used to be. However, it is still Our Lady Peace, so that means it is still worth buying. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy it again. Oh, and one more thing. It comes in a regular audio CD version, or a dual disc version with a making of the CD video and the full album on the DVD side in PCM stereo. I bought the dual disc version. It states that the audio CD is not made to specifications and will not work on all CD players. It works in my stereo and in my car, but the audio CD side would not play in my computer. That was kind of annoying because I like to back up all my CDs on my computer. I also use my computer as a Cd player and stereo a lot so now I can't add this CD to my library. Shame on you OLP. // 8

Healthy In Paraniod Times Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2005

Sound: Brand new, fresh breath of air for Our Lady Peace on this album. Heavier on some tracks, much softer on others. The vocal approach Maida uses is almost rigid; almost angry, but still very optimistic. I was ecstatic after hearing his voice as it used to be, that is, before Gravity. I missed the crazy, nasal style that I thought was lost forever! // 8

Lyrics: Very political, yes; also extremely necessary. Not as cryptic as some of their other work, but enjoyed just as much. // 8

Overall Impression: As political as the album was, I loved it. I'm quite conservative, but I find myself agreeing completely with what was said. And also, I was so afraid Raine might be portrayed as omniscient with the release of this one. I found that it was quite the opposite. Great, great music. It has never let me down. // 10

Healthy In Paraniod Times Reviewed by: grimsk8er, on january 04, 2006

Sound: This is the newest album from an awesome band. It took like 2 years to make this album and it's pretty good. The guitar is great and the drums are great as always, but I dunno, the songs just weren't quite as catchy as their previous albums in my opinion. // 8

Lyrics: Raine writes some great lyrics, and the words always have awesome rhythm. He's an extremely talented singer and a great songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This is pretty new, OLP is quite innovative. my favorite songs are Where Are You and Angels Losing Sleep. its not my favorite OLP album but its pretty good just the same. If this album were stolen, I doubt I would buy it again but then again I'm just broke. Oh and I heard that if you get this CD and some other sony CD's that they can mess up your computer with this software called Rookit, so if you get this don't try to burn it. I doubt it'll actually happen but I love my laptop too much to risk. // 9

Comments